Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Soup recipes or suggestions??

Just seeing if you all had any good recipes for soup. I love the stuff. All kinds. Bowl of soup and some cheese and crackers is a damn good meal to me. Love to hear some your favorites and how you make it.

Our favorite is Tortilla soup. I marinate my chicken breasts in McCormick’s Chipotle and grilled on the Weber using a few Mesquite chips in the smoker box. Top with Monterrey Jack. Mexican cornbread or OTB chips.
    The recipe my wife uses doesn’t call for any tomatoes like some. I’ll post it if she’ll let me pry it out of her.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

I make split pea and ham soup quite often. Take a store bought ham and throw it in the smoker. I slice it up, make some chunks, save the bone.

Boil the bone for broth. I cool it and run it through a fat separator.

I use a cast iron dutch oven. Olive oil and cook down a coarse chopped medium onion. Then add the broth and some water, dump in a pound of split peas, simmer for a couple hours with a handful (Tbsp?) of ground black pepper, 5 or 6 minced garlic cloves, tbsp of marjoram, tbsp of ground cumin (I like it) Keep an eye on it so it simmers slowly, stir it a few times, and add water to keep it to where you like the thickness.

Once the peas have boiled down fairly smooth, I throw in the smoked ham. A bunch until it looks good. Whatever you like. Then I let it simmer a bit more, adding water as necessary.

I 'just do it' with soups because you really cant screw them up. Supposed to be chilly tomorrow so I think I'll make a pot. Hearty soup and some fresh bread from the oven on a cold day is great in front of the fireplace.

Yummy. Love some Split Pea Soup.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

5. Banned
    Looks fantastic!! Never had split pea soup of any kind. Gonna have to try that one.

Razor cat I love tortilla soup too! I致e never made it either though.

6. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    I am a big fan of home made soups, but have you tried Bear Creek soup mix. Fast an easy and it's how we use leftover chicken, pork to add to the soup. Easy to make a pot in 15 minutes

Got that pot of pea soup simmering. House is smelling fine. Another hour and it's done.

8. Member
    White chicken chili.

Okay technically a chili but IMO its more like a soup.

If you like chicken soup the wally world chickens are really good deals. Eat the meat, keep a little, save the carcass and turn it into broth. I do that a bunch.

Couple carrots, an onion, stalk or two of celery. A few cloves of minced garlic, handful of dried marjoram and pepper. Throw in some diced chicken. Simmer for a bit and you're good to go. Cheap and easy, just the way I like it.

10. Member
    I make a creamy chicken noodle soup thats pretty darn good and very easy. I buy a store roasted chicken and pull the meat. Saute some carrots and celery in some butter and garlic then a 64 ounces of chicken stock and add the chicken to the pot and simmer for around 30 minutes. Cook up some egg noodles until about half way done. Drain and add them to the soup with some heavy whipping cream for about 10 minutes and it's done.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    If you like chicken soup the wally world chickens are really good deals. Eat the meat, keep a little, save the carcass and turn it into broth. I do that a bunch.

Couple carrots, an onion, stalk or two of celery. A few cloves of minced garlic, handful of dried marjoram and pepper. Throw in some diced chicken. Simmer for a bit and you're good to go. Cheap and easy, just the way I like it.
    Ive done that a bunch too. Works very well.

12. Member
    ive tried each one of these a few times..they are all great. Google best tomatoe soup by Ree Drummond....Beef vegetable soup by Paula Deen,,and absolutely ultimate potatoe soup by Karena..I did them just like the recipe calls for.. you wont be disappointed

That potato soup recipe would probably cause my cardiologist to bitch slap me, but I do make something similar. Less bacon, half & half instead of heavy cream. Simmer slowly and never let it boil.

Add clams or oysters and you have chowdah.

Crock Pot Smoked Sausage and Sauerkraut Soup

1 lb smoked sausage
    1 lb sauerkraut (drained)
    2 Cups fresh mushrooms (sliced)
    2 carrots (diced)
    3 celery stalks (sliced)
    3 medium red potatoes (cut up bite size)
    1 onion (diced)
    1 can diced tomatoes
    2 tsp dried dill
    5 Cups chicken stock

Stir all ingredients in crock pot, cover and cook on low 10-12 hrs or on high 5-6 hrs.
    Garnish with crumbled bacon and Parmesan cheese and serve with crusty bread.
    Serves 6
    2002 Ranger 520 DVX / 2002 225hp Optimax

That looks good. I just made a couple jars of sauerkraut .Will give it a shot tomorrow.

Let me know what ya think.
    2002 Ranger 520 DVX / 2002 225hp Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by Gator_Fan View Post
    Let me know what ya think.
    I've been putting it off because I ran out of homemade sausage and can't bring myself to eat the store bought stuff. Going to grind some up this week. Couple hours in the smoker and it'll be good to go. The kraut goes fast here. Kids seem to show up when a batch is done.

18. Banned
    This posting is timely. My wife is having hiatal hernia surgery Wednesday and she'll be on a soup diet for a couple of weeks. I've got to come up with some interesting soups for her to eat.

My easiest Potato Soup recipe is simple: Microwave a couple of small potatoes and take off the skin. Take a can of Campbell's Cream of Potatoe Soup and make it with milk. Run the soup and the microwaved potatoes through a blender. Add melted cheese and a little red pepper. It's quick and easy.

The Chicken Tortilla Soup is another simple soup made with chicken stock, tomatoes, a poblano pepper, fresh cilantro, a can of corn and some tortillas. I got recipes online.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post

Thats what I do, or I'll use 1 32oz box chicken broth and 1 32 oz chicken stock.

20. Member
    A quick and easy soup called 7 can soup. Take 2 pounds of hamburger and brown with a medium size onion cut up. After browning add 2 cans ranch style beans, 2 cans of rotel tomatoes and 3 cans of minestrone soup.
    Bring to a boil and turn heat down and let it simmer for ten minutes. Makes a nice hearty soup.
    Last edited by RNF; 03-11-2019 at 08:55 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast