250 Pro XS Fuel Issue

250 Pro XS SN # 1B719435

I'm experiencing a loss of power after running 3+ minutes WOT. Loss of power is around 1000 rpms - from 5950 down to 5100 on the smartcraft gauge. If I let off the throttle and hammer back down the power will come back briefly before losing it again. I also noticed gas in the water at idle and think this is related to the power loss.

Fuel lines imploded in early summer - Fuel lines were replaced from tank all the way to motor with recommended line, pulse pump has been rebuilt and VST filter replaced. I also took it into a shop when the power loss first occurred were they replaced the fuel and air regulator diaphragms - I most likely damaged these when I pulled them to inspect them. Motor runs fine at idle, lower speed runs but acts up on high speed runs.

Any starting points to look at?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Need to locate that fuel leak FIRST. I would not recommend running the engine again until that has been done.

Leaking fuel poses a risk of Fire or Explosion!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I checked all the lines and could not find anything, no fuel in the cowling either. Pulled apart the vst and found small pieces of the red vst filter, including on the needle. So this explains the fuel leak with fuel being dumped from the vent hose into the lower cowling. Would this explain the loss of power on WOT too?

I pulled the the fuel pumps while I have it apart, no debris on the outside of either of the screens. There did appear to be hunk inside the screen on the low pressure pump though, is there a way to clean these screens since they don’t seem to be removable? A2474036-C31E-4D33-9258-A0550EC946F3.jpegBAB261EF-2492-4188-AB79-8544BE4C2C95.jpeg

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That is very likely the cause of both problems. Always make sure to use the correct tool for the filter, and lightly lube the o-rings (and threads) with 2-4-C.

Overflow would have been dumping into the lower cowling (below the adapter plate on the STB side of the engine, near the front).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Are the red pieces from the bottom of the VST filter?
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    More likely pieces of the THREADS.