Replacing Front Deck Seat Post Plate

So the previous owner of my PII decided to leave the seat post in th front hole and never took it out. Then when he realized it was rusted in place, he had the bright idea to just cut the base of the post off...

So the attached pic was what I was left with and it's now worse after I've tried to drill it out unsuccessfully. I'm at the point of replacing the entire seat post base. The question I have is will it be as simple as cutting back the carpet, getting inside the front compartment and unbolting it from the deck? I believe it's a 4" x 8" plate and I found a replacement for it already. I know I'm going to have an ugly patch of missing carpet there, but I'd like to have a functional seat up front when I want one...

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated!

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com
    2018 Nitro Z19 Pro, 200 Mercury Pro XS

2. Member
    Just a thought, there is a plastic bushing that goes into the hole that the post is in. Maybe you can pull bushing, post and all out, then replace the bushing.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Thanks John, I have tried just about everything to get that out...I thought since it was plastic it would just break free after torturing it enough! But that has not been the case and now I believe the easiest solution is to just replace the entire plate. I'm just not sure how hard that will be to get out...
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com

I live near you and I can remove it for a hundred bucks or less while you wait. Private mail me to make arangements. I have a new plastic insert on hand if needed. I am in carmichael.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

5. Member
    I would do my best to get it out without removing the whole assembly.
    Had he not cut the dang thing flush, I could have told you how to get it out.
    My only thought is to drill it up to 5/16 or 1/2 and thread it. Install a bolt. Try turning and prying up on the bolt at the same time.
    May need to add heat. If you do, protect the carpet.

The seat in mine rusted into the bushing. The steal peg pulled from the seat post while trying to remove it. I used a block of wood, a pipe wrench and a pry bar to remove it.
    Cut out the old bushing. Installed a new one and drilled it to 3/4 inch.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Drill it, tap it, install a bolt and slide hammer it out, if that does not work speacial die grinder bit to cut reliefs in the plastic will do it for sure. Drop in a new insert, one hour tops to do this job. Replacing the base would entail several hours plus the cost of the base
    Thank You Leon Pugh

lpugh may have the best and simplest idea.

If that hat doesn’t work it’s replaceable.

BCB
    Last edited by Bass Cat Boats; 02-15-2019 at 10:19 PM.

Yeah, we tried threading a couple of different bolts in there, but they just bent when we tried to pry it out. We did add heat and thought that was going to work, but didn't - the plastic is just so corroded into the metal. We've drilled it out some and will try one more time to finish it once we get some decent weather on the weekend here...

Thanks Leon, I have a couple more options to try and if those don't work I'll be reaching out to you for sure!

I'm hoping to get at it tomorrow before our next storm hits and maybe I'll make some progress.

Thanks!
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com

If you want borrow a slide hammer our shop is in Roseville, it will probably knock it free 916 831 0321
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Thanks Leon, I'll let you know how it goes!
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com

Mine did the same thing but my pole was still there, what I did was using a drill bit(can't remember what size) I started chipping away at the plastic bushing, drilling down and move it over and drill down again and again until I removed enough bushing to get it loose and pulled it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassdeer View Post
    Mine did the same thing but my pole was still there, what I did was using a drill bit(can't remember what size) I started chipping away at the plastic bushing, drilling down and move it over and drill down again and again until I removed enough bushing to get it loose and pulled it out.
    That's how I would do it also. drill holes all around the plastic bushing as deep as you can get them. then tap the post and slide hammer it out.

Thanks guys, that's pretty much what I'm doing. It's been a slow process because the weather here has sucked, so I'm limited on how much time I can spend on it. I did make some progress though and it's getting closer! I would still like to know how hard it would be to replace to the entire plate...the two bolts come right out and I see some adhesive around it. But I'm afraid it's corroded inside the tube, which will be a serious pain to get to!

Hope to have this done this week and I'll post some finished pics...IMG_20190211_172911033.jpgIMG_20190211_172915053.jpg
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com

Make a puller out of a short piece of pipe and a washer(s) on top of the pipe. Insert bolt thru washer and tighten down until it pulls the insert up.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan