Today's Bible Reading Wednesday February 6, 2019

NKJV

Old Testament

The Book of Joshua: Chapter 14:1-6-13-15

These are the areas which the children of Israel inherited in the land of Canaan, which Eleazar the priest, Joshua the son of Nun, and the heads of the fathers of the tribes of the children of Israel distributed as an inheritance to them. Their inheritance was by lot, as the Lord had commanded by the hand of Moses, for the nine tribes and the half-tribe. For Moses had given the inheritance of the two tribes and the half-tribe on the other side of the Jordan; but to the Levites he had given no inheritance among them. For the children of Joseph were two tribes: Manasseh and Ephraim. And they gave no part to the Levites in the land, except cities to dwell in, with their common-lands for their livestock and their property. As the Lord had commanded Moses, so the children of Israel did; and they divided the land.

Then the children of Judah came to Joshua in Gilgal. And Caleb the son of Jephunneh the Kenizzite said to him: "You know the word which the Lord said to Moses the man of God concerning you and me in Kadesh Barnea. I was forty years old when Moses the servant of the Lord sent me from Kadesh Barnea to spy out the land, and I brought back word to him as it was in my heart. Nevertheless my brethren who went up with me made the heart of the people melt, but I wholly followed the Lord my God. So Moses swore on that day, saying, 'Surely the land where your foot has trodden shall be your inheritance and your children's forever, because you have wholly followed the Lord my God.' And now, behold, the Lord has kept me alive, as He said, these forty-five years, ever since the Lord spoke this word to Moses while Israel wandered in the wilderness; and now, here I am this day, eighty-five years old. As yet I am as strong this day as on the day that Moses sent me; just as my strength was then, so now is my strength for war, both for going out and for coming in. Now therefore, give me this mountain of which the Lord spoke in that day; for you heard in that day how the Anakim were there, and that the cities were great and fortified. It may be that the Lord will be with me, and I shall be able to drive them out as the Lord said."

And Joshua blessed him, and gave Hebron to Caleb the son of Jephunneh as an inheritance. Hebron therefore became the inheritance of Caleb the son of Jephunneh the Kenizzite to this day, because he wholly followed the Lord God of Israel. And the name of Hebron formerly was Kirjath Arba (Arba was the greatest man among the Anakim). Then the land had rest from war.

The Gospel according to Luke: Chapter 9:37-43-46-49-50

Now it happened on the next day, when they had come down from the mountain, that a great multitude met Him. Suddenly a man from the multitude cried out, saying, "Teacher, I implore You, look on my son, for he is my only child. And behold, a spirit seizes him, and he suddenly cries out; it convulses him so that he foams at the mouth, and it departs from him with great difficulty, bruising him. So I implored Your disciples to cast it out, but they could not." Then Jesus answered and said, "O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you and bear with you? Bring your son here." And as he was still coming, the demon threw him down and convulsed him. Then Jesus rebuked the unclean spirit, healed the child, and gave him back to his father.

And they were all amazed at the majesty of God. But while everyone marveled at all the things which Jesus did, He said to His disciples, "Let these words sink down into your ears, for the Son of Man is about to be betrayed into the hands of men." But they did not understand this saying, and it was hidden from them so that they did not perceive it; and they were afraid to ask Him about this saying.

Then a dispute arose among them as to which of them would be greatest. And Jesus, perceiving the thought of their heart, took a little child and set him by Him, and said to them, "Whoever receives this little child in My name receives Me; and whoever receives Me receives Him who sent Me. For he who is least among you all will be great."

Now John answered and said, "Master, we saw someone casting out demons in Your name, and we forbade him because he does not follow with us." But Jesus said to him, "Do not forbid him, for he who is not against us is on our side."

2. Member
    "Let these words sink down into your ears, for the Son of Man is about to be betrayed into the hands of men.

Jesus said he was "about to" be betrayed...…………………………When did that happen ?

In luke 3 Jesus said " "Then said he to the multitude..O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath about to come? "

In that verse Jesus told the multitude that the wrath of God was "about to" come. When did that wrath happen ?

In Mathew 16 Jesus said the following.

"For the Son of man is "about to" come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

When did Jesus' coming happen ? when were the rewards to be given ?

Revelation 10 says ……………." "And sware by him that liveth for ever and ever…that there should be no more delay:"

Why do so many want to "delay" what the bible clearly says would happen shortly, soon, at hand, about to AND NO MORE DELAY ?

The greek word translated "about to" is a time indicator ……………….something that will not take long before the event takes place.

Study to show yourself approved unto God...…………...Let the scriptures speak what they do and lets not allow our presuppositions to falsely influence what the scriptures clearly teach.

3. Member
    im not sure how many christians today let the words of Jesus sink down into their ears.

I pray that is sinks into my heart and soul.
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

5. Member
    SD, you are on your way if you allow scripture to interpret scripture and not let traditions of men get in the way. If you read the NT closley, traditions of men got the " fake jews" a taste of Gods wrath at Jesus' second appearing. Jesus tried to warn them over and over about traditions of men, but yet they remained Hearts of Stone instead of Hearts of Flesh.

6. Member
    When in doubt, cling to the Gospel. In the lowest lows and the highest highs. The #1 purpose of any miracle (Luke passage, post #1) is to testify to the divinity of Christ and as such He has the authority and qualifications to take away sin.
    Last edited by msethsmile; 02-09-2019 at 10:08 AM.