Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First trip of the year blues....

A buddy and me decided to hit the lake today since its been unseasonably warm the last few days, also figured it would be a good day to start the break in on the new block. Loaded up and heading to lake about an hour away, trailer tire exploded. Some people have mentioned how hard it is to break the lugs loose on these ranger trailers. No kidding, couldn't get them the to budge. Luckily we broke down on highway in a town and had local wrecker come and impact the lugs loose for a price of $40. I feel thankful that could have been worse. They arrived promptly and we were on our way. Back trailer in water, turn the key and nothing. All batteries showed good on charger, but Cranking battery had enough power to run electronics but not turn over the engine. So we dropped the trolling motor and fished for several hours without even a bite. Water was 49.3 but they were completely inactive. Casting practice i guess. Upon arriving home, checked water in cranking battery, bone dry. I filled with distilled water and it stopped showing to be good and changed to show charging. I figure this battery is a goner, unless it charges back up. wishful thinking. It was original battery, I replaced trolling batteries last year. Anyway second trip can't get much worse.

2014 Ranger RT188
    115 Merc 4s, laser II 20p
    humminbirds

Put some Never Seize on the lug threads and you will be able to get the nuts loose with the proper tools.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Member
    Been there done that lol but as they say a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work.
    LIFE IS GOOD
    STILL CAN'T CATCH A FISH.

4. Member
    Once a cell is dry, it's done. I upgraded to AGM.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

I guess the battery wasn't bone dry. After topping off with water it shows charged. And has enough strength to turn motor over. I'll unplug charger for a couple of days and see it holds the charge .... Now the problem i have is the hummingbird 999 at console, the buttons light up but screen doesn't not boot up. Any idea about this??

2014 Ranger RT188
    humminbirds

Quote Originally Posted by fishinSteve View Post
    I guess the battery wasn't bone dry. After topping off with water it shows charged. And has enough strength to turn motor over. I'll unplug charger for a couple of days and see it holds the charge .... Now the problem i have is the hummingbird 999 at console, the buttons light up but screen doesn't not boot up. Any idea about this??
    It's probably the battery... replace it and I bet your problems will go away.
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

I hope that's the problem , but the one on bow boots without a problem. Think I'll hook it up were 999 is and see if it boots.

2014 Ranger RT188
    humminbirds

8. Member
    Being it's the original battery it's nearing what some would consider replacement age anyway, why risk ruining another trip for something that's not that much money.
    Using anti-seize on wheel lugs is generally not recommended as it can lead to over torquing of the wheel nut. You'll find people on both sides of the fence on that one.
    If you use it just be sure to not over tighten. Myself, I torque to spec - dry, and carry a breaker bar and short section of pipe to slide over it if more leverage is needed.
    2015 RT188 / Optimax ProXS 115

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    It took me four years before I was able to get the lug nuts off the wheels on my Ranger trailer. I must have had my Wheaties that morning.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Probably best bet to replace that battery....and as far as lug nuts, when i take to firestone to mount new tire, i'll have them back nuts off and I'll tighten them. That way would think I'd be able to loosen them if I run into this
    situation again.

2014 Ranger RT188
    humminbirds

It took me four years before I was able to get the lug nuts off the wheels on my Ranger trailer. I must have had my Wheaties that morning.

l
    2017 Crestliner VT 18 DX
    Mercury 115 ProXS
    Motorguide X3 70lb 24V
    TP Express Mach 4 13 x 19
    "Follow Me," Jesus told them, "and I will make you fish for people!" Mark 1:17

12. Member
    You might need a thin wall socket for the lug nuts.

13. Member
    I'd change the battery when you get the tire fixed. If the tires are over three years old I'd change those too. I change my tires every few years no matter how good they look. I will change my starting battery (2017 boat) sometime this year to an AGM. I've already changed the trolling motor batteries.

When you get all that routine maintenance done my suggestion is leave the fishing rods home and head to the lake for a day of breaking your new powerhead in. Two hours of running that motor under a load...grab something warm fill up with fresh gas and get it broken in correctly. THEN you should have a bunch of enjoyable days on the water.

Days like you had today aggravate me. Those kinds of day are why I spend the money on a quality rig and the routine maintenance to keep it that way.

14. Member
    I always put the muffs on my outboard and run the motor for 3 minutes the day before an outing just to make sure everything is working properly. Unfortunately one doesn't suspect any issues when the boat is new.
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com

I bought boat new in 2014 and sold my 2000 sea ark. I’ve kept oil changed and lower unit oil changed. The shop I had fix it couldn’t give any insight to why the rod bearing let go. Just one of those freak things with 80 some odd hours ( we fish one lake that you just have troll all day. Low hours). And I guess my 999 is shot. Hooked 899 at console
    and it booted up just fine.

2014 Ranger RT188
    humminbirds

I bought boat new in 2014 and sold my 2000 sea ark. I’ve kept oil changed and lower unit oil changed. The shop I had fix it couldn’t give any insight to why the rod bearing let go. Just one of those freak things with 80 some odd hours ( we fish one lake that you just have troll all day. Low hours). And I guess my 999 is shot. Hooked 899 at console
    and it booted up just fine.
    Did you try a soft or hard reset on your 999?

Eat, Sleep, Hunt & Fish

2010 Tracker Tournament V18 18' 3"
    Mercury 115 ProXS 4Stroke Mercury Spitfire X7 Prop 21P
    Minn Kota 80lb Thrust Ultrex.
    6 inch CMC Pro Hi-Jacker
    Humminbird Helix 10 DI G4N W/FFS @ Bow
    Humminbird Helix 9 DI G4N @ Bow
    Humminbird Helix 9 SI G4N @ Console
    Smartcraft Merc Monitor (Basic)

17. Member
    If it floats or has a monthly period, it's going to give you problems sooner or later and both are expensive

18. Member
    If you have cordless power tools (Dewalt, Milwaukee, etc.) Most all brands now offer a cordless impact wrench. If you already have the batteries you can just buy the bare tool, they are handy to keep behind the seat when on a road trip.

How would you reset the 999? I was under the impression there was not a reset on these units.

Think the cordless impact would take the lugs off? Not sure to the strength of the cordless battery powered impacts.

2014 Ranger RT188
    humminbirds

20. Member
    How would you reset the 999? I was under the impression there was not a reset on these units.

Think the cordless impact would take the lugs off? Not sure to the strength of the cordless battery powered impacts.
    these new cordless impacts are the real thing.

I keep one in my truck box along with my dewalt flashlight in case I break down after dark, etc.

I pulled into work parking lot last year, the maintainence guy was trying to bust loose the lugs on one of the fleet trucks with a traditional Pneumatic impact wrench, it wasn't budging, I got the Dewalt DCF 899 and handed it to him, said here try this, I honestly didn't think it would work because if the regular impact running off an air compressor would not bust it loose no way the cordless would work, but at this point it cant hurt to try, sure enough within 5 seconds the lugs were coming off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast