Banned

SHO not up to speed

2011 200 SHO on a zx200 skeeter. Changed props from a vmax 25 t1 to a SHO 24t1. First prop came with the boat I bought used last year. Would get 5650on analog gauge so purchased a 24 t1SHO and ran it today. Analog gauge shows 5900 rpms but gps speed fell from 64 with the old prop to 60 with the new one. My setup is second hole on the motor and 7th dot on the plate. Does anyone have any ideas? Ima bout sick. This motor has always run smooth and starts every crank but has never performed as I’ve heard these should.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Member
    I'd run a slip calculator to check slip %. There could be many things at play here such as cupping on the blades of the 24P is less than the 25P therefore more slip running the current engine height. You can also lose top end going down in Pitch but increase holeshot performance. Your SHO may make more HP at 5650rpm vs 5900rpm. This could be the result of the 200HP tune. If you want more speed, I'd flash your ECU.

3. Banned
    Where would I find the great ratio on this particular lower unit? It seems a silly question I know but I don’t know if this is the original lower unit. In fact I’m sure it’s not

4. Member

5. Banned
    Thanks. One more question....will a vmax lower bolt up to a SHO?

6. Banned
    Calculations showed 21%. Where should I be?

Is the 24T1 new? I'd send it off to Mark Croxton and have him balance and blueprint the prop.

8. Banned
    Yes. The t1 24 is new. This is the old one that came
    off from dealer. 25 t1
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Member
    Your motor is fine. The 24T1 prop is messed up. Should be around 68-69mph at 5900 on ur rig.

10. Banned
    This same 24 ran 6100 rpm and 67 mph on a 2017 zx225. Is my set up that much different? It IS a 225 sho as opposed to my 200
    Last edited by Wheatpower; 02-05-2019 at 06:03 PM.

11. Member
    That old prop is beat to shit .. is the prop shaft bent . I don’t know what 7 dots means on a jack plate . But you should start out at 2” below pad with a sho you will be real close plus or minus a 1/2” . My tempest on my sho is very hard to beat . 25 tempest are easy to find might try and find one you can barrow .

12. Banned

Would these wedges contribute to not getting all of the trim that I need? Never had these on any boat in the past. Could be my problem. Yes that old prop was on it when it came from the dealer

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheatpower View Post

Would these wedges contribute to not getting all of the trim that I need? Never had these on any boat in the past. Could be my problem. Yes that old prop was on it when it came from the dealer
    Yes, those are there to add negative trim to give better handling at slow speeds. Essentially they limit the amount of positive trim you can get which you need to get that heavy front lifted.

14. Banned
    Thanks! I’ll be getting these removed

15. Member
    I believe the motor should be bolted in the third hole down not the second hole like you described. The dots on the jackplate are correct at 7. At least that's how they are set up from the Factory.

16. Banned
    Ok. Thank you! I’m new to skeeter so any help is greatly appreciated. I’ve had tritons and Stratos over the decades so I’m learning all over again.

17. Member
    I'd also remove the wedges, Those wedges probably cost you at least 5 to 10 mph. If you can't trim out, your not hitting top speed. Your prop pitch may also change pending rpm when trimmed to max speed.