1990 168 Plumbing

I am trying to decipher the plumbing under the fuel tank. I am starting to think its been hacked up as some point. I know the two lines hooked to the red valves are to drain the front & rear live well. The two lines hooked up to the pvc check valve appear to be the fill lines for the two livewells (both are connected to the upper fitting in the well), but they are not hooked to a pump. I am guessing the white pump going through the transom is the fill pump, but it's only connected to the rear live well. The yellow appears to be the bilge pump. I would like to get this back to the original configuration while I have everything apart.
    Plumbing.jpg

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    The hoses connected to the check valve are the livewell over flow. The pump through the step is the fill and should be T'd to front and back. Check the nozzle on the front. You can close it off by turning the end clockwise.

3. Member
    Awsome! Thanks! One question, why does only one overflow go through the check valve?

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye492 View Post
    Awsome! Thanks! One question, why does only one overflow go through the check valve?

Because when you put the boat into reverse, the prop will push water up into the overflow. It can’t push it all the way to the front though.

5. Member
    So if I am looking at this correctly, whoever installed the Y & check valve did it incorrectly because only one line is controlled by the valve & the other is a straight shot to the front livewell.

6. Banned
    No it appears to be correct.

7. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Plus, if you're a biscuit eater like me, water can backflow into the front livewell when standing on the front deck.

8. Member
    So its correct that the the check valve only controls the back flow to the rear livewell? Just want to make sure I get this right.

9. Member
    I do like my biscuits! Usually drenched in sausage gravy!

10. Banned
    The way the champ sits in the water (nose high), I just can’t see it being possible to push water all the way up to the bow livewell.

11. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye492 View Post
    I do like my biscuits! Usually drenched in sausage gravy!
    me too!

It controls backflow to both. I had a 90 176 and noticed that when I was on the front deck, I could hear water coming into the front livewell.

12. Member
    Gotcha! I agree that it would be a long way to push water that high. I can only see that happening when driving in reverse.

13. Member
    I don't want to have to pull the tank again. What a PITA! Just want to get this right the first time. I am very new to this boat & very thankful for everyone on this board with their insight & experiences. I feel that I ask too many questions sometimes.

14. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    There is no such thing as "too many questions"!!!