Motorguide X5 Owners - how do you like it?

I used the search function and couldn't find many current reviews of this trolling motor. I did see where some folks reported issues with the direction arrow and a few other problems. Was curious how people that have had this TM now for a season or two or three feel about it and also would like to know if they had any issues with it so far.

thanks
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

2. Member
    Next time you are able to go to the ramp and see boats there. Take a look at what type troll motor they have and I am pretty sure that will answer your question.

3. Member
    I have had a 36 volt X5 for two years. I would look elsewhere.

4. Member
    Bradrodfish you're probably right. Everyone I see has a MK Fortrex.

5. Member
    I have an X5 for over a year. Plastic junk just like minn kota's. I wish the tour edition was still around. They were the best trollers. I've kept my old tour edition for a backup.

6. Member
    You talking Xi5 or the straight X5?
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

7. Member
    I've had a 36v 105 X-5 since June of 2016, runs fine, does shut off for a quick bit when you hit something kinda hard, I did adjust the arrow once, other than that, it's quiet and smooth, but I do have a brand new Tour Edition 109 just in case

8. Member
    I’ve had an X5 24V 80# for 2-1/2 yrs and have had no issues with it. I like it.

9. Member
    I have an 80# model as well, been running it for 2 years now without a single issue, was hoping that Motorguide would come out with something to compete with the Ultrex, hasn’t happened yet so I’ll be running an Ultrex this year.

10. Member
    On one of my boats, I replaced a 24V Maxxum with a 24V X5 a couple years ago, and the X5 is a substantial step up. Everything about it I like more, except for the directional arrow that can get moved out of position if you stow the motor in a position that makes the lower unit turn a bunch to get seated in the mount. But you can just twist it back into place. Or call MotorGuide and have them send you a new motor head cover. I just learned to steer the motor into the position where the lower unit won't need to spin a lot during stowing and its a non-issue. I'm one of the guys that likes the momentary button where it is on the MG pedals instead of the opposite side for MK.

11. Member
    Thanks guys. I’m going to talk with a guy this weekend who repairs MG and MK trolling motors. He should have good insight on both motors I’m considering.
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559