Weedless Wacky Hook for 6" Senko

what are you guys using for this?

is anybody adding a small bullet weight pegged to speed up the fall rate?

2. Member
    VMC Ike Approved Weedless Jig Head

I use these and add a nail weight into the head of the senko. These hooks are sharp and stay sharp after many hook ups. The weed guard holds up well and overall these hooks are less expensive than others.

3. Banned

I like the weedless VMC Neko hook, usually size 1 or 1/0. I've personally had extremely poor luck with the style BigBass94 linked in both hookups and landing rates across multiple different brands. It really seems like you need a baitcaster "jig" hookset to get reliable hookups with that style, even with the fluoro weedguard instead of wire, and that doesn't mix well with the 7 lb test I'm throwing a wacky rig on.

The VMC Neko hooks are absolutely excellent and the weedguards on the weedless version, while they won't protect quite as well as the style linked by BigBass94 (you're not going to worm it through a brushpile or something), don't interfere with hookups and landing rates very much if at all. Different strokes for different folks and all that and of course and this is just my $0.02, but the tradeoff of slightly poorer weedlessness for sure-fire hookups is definitely worth it to me, especially given how rarely I'm fishing in thick wood.

If I want weight, I'll usually go with a different type of wacky jighead. You could definitely also use a small bullet weight or splitshot crimped above the hook to accomplish that, though. Though I know it's a different presentation, I've been using the Neko rig when I need a faster fall. I'm probably missing out on some bites by doing so, but have had so much luck with the Neko rig I've really stuck with it.

If you like Gamakatsu, the B10S stinger hook is the style same hook as the VMC Neko hook, though there's not a weedless version available from Gamakatsu unless that's changed very recently. So to get the same thing you'd need some heavy fluoro and some rudimentary "fly tying" skills and the related equipment (thread, bobbin, and vise preferably).

I was really skeptical of this long shank hook in this application, but just putting it to use took care of my fears. The 3 degree offset of the point from the shank is a huge deal in my opinion.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

5. Member
    Gamagatsu weedless circle hooks are what I use and have good luck with them. If I want weighted I use an eco pro tungsten wacky weight. I don't like the hook point to the facing down on the fall like you get with a jighead

6. Member
    VMC Neko hooks with the fiber weed guard. Hook up ratio is incredible!

7. Member
    gamakatsu open eye shiner hook, tie my own weed guard with 60 lb floro

8. Member
    If I'm fishing weightless, trokar weedless wacky hooks. If I want weight, I have a few Amistad tackle Headbanger jigs left. If anyone is in the Texas area and knows if they are still in business, let me know. Their website shut down a couple years ago and I need to order more.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

9. Member
    I use a weedless wacky hook and texas rig a pegged tungsten weight the size I need. usually the smallest i can buy.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I like the weedless VMC Neko hook, usually size 1 or 1/0. I've personally had extremely poor luck with the style BigBass94 linked in both hookups and landing rates across multiple different brands. It really seems like you need a baitcaster "jig" hookset to get reliable hookups with that style, even with the fluoro weedguard instead of wire, and that doesn't mix well with the 7 lb test I'm throwing a wacky rig on.

The VMC Neko hooks are absolutely excellent and the weedguards on the weedless version, while they won't protect quite as well as the style linked by BigBass94 (you're not going to worm it through a brushpile or something), don't interfere with hookups and landing rates very much if at all.
    I agree with your post 100%. I used the kind that BigBass94 mentioned for a long time. My hook-up percentage was aggravating.

Last year I switched to the VMC Neko hooks and my successful hook-up rate jumped. I was really impressed with the hooks. Unfortunately, the "weedless" version doesn't seem very weedless. I am constantly getting snagged when tossing them around brush.

11. Member
    Here is the strike king hook I use. I always fish mine on casting gear and have never had an issue getting bites. Depending on depth I will add a weight like you asked about to speed the fall.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/str...e-hooks-5-pack

12. Member
    The strike king is what I use . Works fine and very affordable.
    2010 Xpress X21TS. 250 proXS
    2015 1860 grizzly. 40 Merc 4s

Same here. Strike King Pork O
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

14. Member
    The Gamakatsu G finesse hooks with the Ti weed guards are the best in my opinion. Both weighted and non weighted.

15. Member
    X6... for the VMC Neko hook with the weed guard. Best hook ever for neko/wacky set ups.
    2017 Nitro Z20 w/ Mercury 250 Pro XS
    MK Ultrex 112# Mega DI/ Mega 360
    Console: Helix 10 MDI G3N-Helix 10 MSI G3N
    Bow: Helix 10 MDI G3N-Helix 10 MDI G4N

16. Member