Dexter EZ Lube with zerk removed and Bearing Buddies added

Previous owner made this change. I do my own bearing maintenance, etc and I’m wondering if I should get the parts (zerks, caps) and change back. Any thoughts? I just don’t think you can get much grease past that outside bearing with that Dexter spindle without using the zerk.
    2000 Champion 186
    '98 Yamaha 150

2. Banned
    I like the rubber cap and zerk. Every month or so I pump in new grease and take out the old.

I would put the original type zerks/caps back on. The bearing buddies are not an advantage with that set up.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

4. Member
    if you can make shure the system works = remove hubs and check if the grease goes through the canal to rear bearing ! mine has a sleeve on inner bearings that can rotate and block hole and the grease is spread in drum on shoes .

5. Member
    Thanks for the replies guys. For the caps do I just buy the same size diameter as what the bearing buddies are?

Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    I like the rubber cap and zerk. Every month or so I pump in new grease and take out the old.
    Why? I don't think that grease wears out that fast!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

7. Banned
    Grease is cheap and it only takes a few minutes. Plus you can tell by the old grease if there is a problem starting.

If you do your own maintenance, I'd throw it all away and just put standard bearing caps on it.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."