Targeting Yellow Perch in Tennessee

Anybody fish for them and how do you target them? I’ve only caught them by accident when bass or crappie fishing. Chilhowee seems to have some big ones. Just wondering how to catch them
    2000 Champion 186
    '98 Yamaha 150

2. Member
    Minnows on the Great Lakes.
    Im sure a piece of night crawler will do.

3. T Dub
    I've only caught them by accident while crappie fishing or sauger fishing

4. robdy72
    crappie jigs is what I have caught them on.

5. Member
    Here in AL i've caught a couple on inline spinners and one on a pins minnow while fishing some of the smaller streams and rivers.

6. Member
    Well I ice fish for them all winter so here's my 2 cents. Since you are in TN I assume you have open water so I would look for deeper weeds if they are still green and also look for flats close to deep water and shallow weeds. Up here this time of year perch have gone deeper right now but you should be able to find them shallower. Perch like to eat bugs and will burrow in mud flats to get to bugs or pic bugs off weeds.
    Typically you can catch them on rapala jigging raps or swedish pimples or cast master spoons, crappie type stuff. Smaller stuff.I tend to pound them in the mud then raise them up slowly vertical jigging. Also if you have a hydro wave turn that baby on. I have noticed it tends to pull them up off the bottom a little and will make it easier to find them.

7. Member
    If you do catch some keep them they are better eating than crappie....

8. Banned
    Minnows and a split shot or minnow tipped on a kastmaster during cold water.