Thread: Flatrock River?

Banned

Question Flatrock River?

Alright guys in the know.. I've heard that the Flatrock River has some good smallmouth fishing.
    I've heard you can access it somewhere around Columbus.. anybody know that be a fact?

Would like to give it a shot if I can find somewhere to leave a vehicle where it will be safe.
    Also, can it be walked/waded? I would probably have my little guy with me. Thanks all!!!!

2. Member
    If you get off 65 at the Taylorsville exit and go south on 31. Turn left (east) at the stoplight where the Columbus Silgas is (550N). That road crosses over the river and there is a little park next to the bridge. I’ve never fished there, but it looks shallow enough to wade. I think you can access it from Milrace park in town also but not 100% on that.

We used to fish it down by greensburg now and then. Little flatrock also has some decent fish, and a ton of crawfish.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

I grew up wading Flatrock near Milroy. Used to be great smallmouth fishing, though the mining operation silted that area in pretty good over the years. I've heard it's still good around Columbus, though I haven't fished that stretch in several years. Plenty of wade level water. Just be mindful of deeper pockets, which should be easily identified.

5. Banned
    Thanks all. I've heard of 18+ inchers caught out of there around Columbus, but never have gotten around to checking it out.
    That's going to change this year

Sugar Creek is worth fishing as well.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

7. Member
    The area around millrace park in Columbus can hold some giants. It is the flat rock and driftwood rivers that come together to make the start of the East Fork White River.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cubswin View Post
    Sugar Creek is worth fishing as well.
    Fished Sugar Creek plenty growing up. My parents live close to a portion of it. Have caught some nice smallies out of there.

Quote Originally Posted by bradjames12 View Post
    Fished Sugar Creek plenty growing up. My parents live close to a portion of it. Have caught some nice smallies out of there.
    Actually there are 2 Sugar Creeks. The one you are talking about runs thru Boone, Montgomery and Parke counties. The other Sugar Creek runs thru Hancock, Shelby. Not sure after that. Both creeks have good fish in them.

I think Millrace Park would be a good place for you and your son to go once river waters are running normal. A few things to do besides just fishing. (I remember how boys get a little antsy ).
    The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer up someone else.

10. Banned
    ^^^ Yep knew Sugar Creek has runs, and you are correct, I've fished the Parke County portion of it.

Thanks for the idea on Millrace, but so far Ethan loves to go fishing with me and never wants to leave