Buying a 2016 Z21

Looking at a 2016 Z21. Has the 250 mercy xs. Motor has 38 hrs on it. Boat is in showroom condition. Has Lowrance 9 at console and bow. Has ultrex 36volt tm. I really want this boat. Also has one power pole. $40,000 is price and it’s firm. I’ve never had a nitro and have heard horror stories of the older models. Will I be happy with this boat? I have a Triton tr 20 98 model with a merc opti. 225 05 model. I love the look of the nitro and the room. Any suggestions or input appreciated.

2. Member
    40k doesn’t sound bad for only 38 hours on it and being in great condition. The Z21 is huge, very nice platform to fish from. I had a Z9 and it was a barge to fish from. The Z21 has a longer front deck than the Z9 did. I’ve spent some time in a Z21 and it definitely rides better than my Z9 did. Hope that helps

3. Member
    I'm sure you've done the math and know that is a lot of boat for the price. It is pretty clear to see the Z21 fishes like an aircraft carrier. I can't speak to your happiness. That is a pretty subjective question. If someone else's past woes about a certain brand are giving you pause then you may not find another boat. I owned other brands before my Nitro and they most definitely had their flaws. You know what you are looking for, and you know what to look for when buying a used boat. When I buy a boat, it for pleasure and certainly not as an investment. I have never purchased a consumer good with the thought of what others might think or future resale value. If the Z21 passes the eye test and wallet test, then there is no harm taking it for a test drive.

4. Member
    I have a 16 Z20 I bought 2 yrs ago. It's my favorite boat I have ever run. I have had older Nitro's and these boats are completely different. I have 200 hours on mine. No stress cracks anywhere and I use my boat. I have had about every brand from Skeeter to 8 Rangers to Triton. I prefer this Nitro over any of them and will buy another one once I decide I need to!

5. Banned
    I am happy with mine. Ran 2 other brands before my Z21 and I like the Nitro the best so far.

I think its a fair price, Sold my 2017 for a little more then that last year...and my boats usually have around 200 hrs.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

7. Member
    I have a 16 Z21. Every brand has good and not so good features. I am happy with the rig. Great ride, huge and extremely stable fishing platform. Fast enough for me.

I also own a 2016 model and think the price is pretty good. I traded my 2006 911 CDC for it and haven't had a bad moment on it yet. No issues/complaints after almost 3 years.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

I would also say I bet you can get some 17s in that Range.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

You could a comparable bass cat for that price, Nitros are an ok boat, but nowhere near a Cat in any regard
    Thank You Leon Pugh

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    You could a comparable bass cat for that price, Nitros are an ok boat, but nowhere near a Cat in any regard
    Where can you get a newish 21’ Cat with a low-hours 250 for 40k? I’m interested.

there is more just do some searching. You can a very nice new FTD right now for 65K
    Last edited by BMCD; 02-07-2019 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Removing the boat trader listing
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Cat and Nitro are not the same. No doubt. Normally people looking at Rangers, Skeeters and Nitros are not considering Cats. Its a different buyer.

It would be tough for me to get into a Basscat, and deal with less space. But heck if there prices are truely as low as the Nitros, what happened to resale?
    Last edited by BMCD; 02-07-2019 at 07:20 AM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

^^That was going to be my question. If their resale value plummeted...there's probably a reason.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

15. Member
    Leon,
    I appreciate the dialogue. The boat you previously listed is 20 feet with less storage, it has 3 times the hours, no ultrex, a manual plate, not to mention no trailer. It will take more than a few bucks to get that Cat up to par with the aforementioned Nitro’s accoutrements.

16. Member
    Thanks guys, pulled the trigger and got it. I’m really pleased so far. If it ever quits raining I’ll get some fishing time in it! Appreciate all the reply’s

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinBrian View Post
    Thanks guys, pulled the trigger and got it. I’m really pleased so far. If it ever quits raining I’ll get some fishing time in it! Appreciate all the reply’s
    How about some pics?

18. Member
    When I figure out how to send some.... not to techy I’m afraid!