Recommendation For New Rods

I am looking for recommendations on a new spinning rod. I am not looking for a specific technique but rather a rod that could be used for multipurpose. I would like to keep it around $150. Thanks!

2. Member
    St Croix Mojo 7’1 Med would be my suggestion. Or a 7’ med St Croix premier. Both are under 150
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    Agree with the previous, also if you shop for a deal I think the St. Croix Avid X 7’ is a great all around spinning rod, probably my most used.

Quote Originally Posted by UKbassin View Post
    I am looking for recommendations on a new spinning rod. I am not looking for a specific technique but rather a rod that could be used for multipurpose. I would like to keep it around $150. Thanks!
    ALX Rods IKOS Soul 7

5. Member
    Shop around and find a Abu Garcia Villain 2.0 for this price. They list at $199 but can be had for around $150. Either 6'10" ML or 7' M are great rods. Amazing rod for the $$..

6. Member
    Duckett micro magic pro

7. Member
    St croix Avid X 7' Medium

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DMart1 View Post
    Shop around and find a Abu Garcia Villain 2.0 for this price. They list at $199 but can be had for around $150. Either 6'10" ML or 7' M are great rods. Amazing rod for the $$..
    This, all day. I've got a couple of 7' mediums and they are nice. Extremely comfortable and sensitive.

9. Member
    St. Croix Avid X Series Spin Rod 6'8" Medium

10. Member
    I picked up a 7'0 ALX Soul for exactly what you stated.

11. Banned
    Can't go wrong with any of the rods listed above but I have to say, I have a few of those bass pro carbonelite rods both spinning and casting. For the price they are very impressive... I'm not a big bass pro fan but I do like these rods and they go on sale several times a year especially on thier spring classic. Light, sensitive, value and I like the handle/grips.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    Can't go wrong with any of the rods listed above but I have to say, I have a few of those bass pro carbonelite rods both spinning and casting. For the price they are very impressive... I'm not a big bass pro fan but I do like these rods and they go on sale several times a year especially on thier spring classic. Light, sensitive, value and I like the handle/grips.
    FWIW.. I thought the older black ones were much better.

The Hammer 7' medium or 7' medium heavy are excellent spinning rods for the money and under your $150 mark...

Hammer Spinning Rods @ The Tackle Trap

14. Member
    Thanks all for the suggestions. One rod that I have not seen mentioned is the Dobyn’s Sierra. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on those rods?

15. Member
    All of the rods suggested (including the Sierra you asked about) are excellent choices. I prefer a MH as an all-around rod. For me that means a baitcaster.....but a $200 rod for $130 isn't anything to sneeze at. TW has the 7'2" MH-XF Ark Sniper on sale for that price. I have zero experience with Ark rods, but plan on taking advantage of the sale to get a new casting rod. I have read a few reviews on Ark rods, and they all were good. Two bad customer reviews at TW compared to excellent reviews from everyone else.
    Last edited by new2BC4bass; 02-10-2019 at 07:25 AM.

ALX Ikos soul is my favorite all around spinning rod. It's a good stick.