New Tracker, need a little tuning.

I just got a 2019 Tracker 195 TE with a Pro XS 150 with a Tempest Plus 24p prop.

I got to run it last Friday for the first time. Following the break in, I ran it 4500 or less with variable RPM and wide open for less than a min about every 10 minutes or so.
    I was able to get 6000 RPM at WOT and the boat handles great.
    The issue I’m having is blow out from grabbing too much air at lower RPM and at higher RPM a lot of slip. At lower if I raise trim hardly any and make any kind of turn… blow out.
    I can raise the trim quite a bit at WOT but the slip is very obvious. Results are lower than should be speed at top end. Not grabbing enough water.
    The motor came set at the next to the lowest hole, and I measure 4.25 inches from bottom of hull lowest point, (not the center ridge) to the bottom of cavitation plate.
    My best guess is the motor needs to come down some. Dropping the motor to the bottom hole looks like it will put the hydraulic steering cylinder close to hitting the top of the transom.
    I notice many of you that own Trackers run a jack plate. CMC a lot of you, 5.5 inch off set.
    My question is this… Are there any problems with clearance of hydraulic steering and the top of the transom? Seeing that I need to go down, not sure how far, hopefully not more than an inch.

I have to call the service manager Monday to see what they think about it.
    Love the boat!
    Just got to get her tuned out right, and get all my other stuff in and installed.

Thanks for any input.
    Last edited by Fish Commando; 02-05-2019 at 10:09 AM.

My guess would be, you need to come down to the third hole from top. So if I read you correctly.you need to come down one hole. Your prop to pad measurement would be in a somewhat good range. If you had a jackplate.

Also do you have solid plugs in the prop. Most to all 4 stoke motor need solid plugs. And some cup added to the prop will help tremendously.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

There are also a couple of prop things you may try. One is to have cup added to your current prop by a good prop man. Adding cup to your prop will allow it to bite better and should help some. Another thing you could try is a 4 blade prop such as the Mercury Trophy Plus which is a four blade prop. The Trophy Plus has cup built into it and will give you good overall handling. In general the correct pitch size with the Trophy Plus will be two pitch sizes smaller, so you would go from your 24 pitch Tempest to a 22 Pitch in the Trophy. Your current rpm's will be about the same if you run the Trophy. As for adding cup I would recommend that you call Mark Croxton who is a board sponsor and the moderator in the prop forum here in BBC.

Eat, Sleep, Hunt & Fish

2010 Tracker Tournament V18 18' 3"
    Mercury 115 Optimax, Mercury Spitfire X7 Prop 19P
    Minn Kota 70b Thrust Maxxum
    6 inch CMC Pro Hi-Jacker
    Lowrance Elite 7 TI (Bow)
    Lowrance HDS7 GEN 3 Touch (Console)
    Smartcraft Merc Monitor (Basic)