Pork shoulder injectio

Looking to add some more flavor to my pork shoulders. I smoke them on a Green Mountain Grill injected with apple juice and use apple and cherry pellets. They come out really tasty but looking to add more complex flavors.
    John the Garage Doorman

2. Member
    I just use the Cajun injection stuff you get at the stores. Heck ill even pour a little into the pork once its pulled. I like it.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    I just use the Cajun injection stuff you get at the stores. Heck ill even pour a little into the pork once its pulled. I like it.
    I will have to look for that and try it.
    John the Garage Doorman

4. Member
    Vinegar, powdered sugar and cayenne works for me
    2020 BCB Lynx 300 pro xs 4s
    2013 BCB Puma 250 pro xs
    WPS

5. Member
    50/50 Apple Juice and Apple cider vinegar works for me. Might add a little cheyenne to kick up it a little, once in a while.

6. Member
    Kosmos Q Pork Injection or Butcher BBQ Pork. Either one will add a ton more flavor than juice and vinegar mixes

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I just take a rub I like and powder it in a blender. Mix that with apple juice and bring to a boil.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

I make my own rub, so I just set aside some. Mix with 1/2 cup water, 1/4 cup Mustard, 1/4 cup AJ, 2 tablespoons of ACV, and a tablespoon or two of EVOO to thicken it. Dissolve rub in water, add other ingredients and blend thoroughly with a stick blender or food processor. I use an Ofargo SS meat injector I bought off Amazon. Great injector for all kinds of meats.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

9. Member
    I use 3/4 cup apple juice, 1/2 cup water. 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup Himalayan pink salt & 2 tablespoons Worcestershire. I also put the dry rub on the night before & wrap in plastic.

10. Member
    It's exceedingly rare that i inject shoulders but when I do, it's with something like orange or lemon juice with a little rub mixed in. You don't taste the juice as the rub overpowers it. The point of the juice is for the acidity to help break down the collagens in the meat.
    2013 Pro Team 190
    2013 Mercury 115 Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota 70# Edge
    22p LightSpeed Prop
    Humminbird 898 at console
    Humminbird 598 at bow

11. Banned
    Son in law is a competitive barbeque cook. He won 8th and 11th at Memphis in May for shoulders last 2 years.

They do use rubs, but no injections in their shoulders. They do use custom raised fatty pigs from Minnesota for competitions, however. It's all in the cooking he says.

12. Member
    I use a combination of my dry rub ingredients mixed with Pineapple juice. You don't taste the Pineapple flavor and the acid is mild, yet it breaks down the meat to be super tender. My rub that I mix up is fairly common to most recipes, including the brown sugar component. Not a lot of Cayenne, but a little for warmth, just not flamethrower heat.

13. Member
    ill look at the house and get the one i use i cant remember everything in it but i know it uses accent brown sugar apple cider apple juice and a rub all brought to a slow boil then let cool and inject the first time i used it i tasted it and thought my goodness this is the worse tasting thing i ever put in my mouth but i did test Butt with it and it turned out the best and most tender i have every cooked ended up doing 20 butts for a bbq party and everybody loved it.