1995 Skeeter 150zx bow eye is loose and the fiberglass is a little broken

hey BBC members,

I had a few questions in regards to my boat. My bow eye recently came loose and messed the fiberglass up a little bit. I had no other choice but to crank the boat up in the predicament I was in. I noticed it started to crack and move a little. the boats 24 years old and I was wondering if there was any way this is a DIY project? I know I will have to replace the brace on the inside that the eye goes through. All I want is it fixed. It does not have to be perfect or pretty. I was just wondering if anyone on here has ever ran into the same problem that I am in right now. Any input or recommendations to do it myself would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kyle

2. Member
    It is an easy fix however it may take some extra work. It all depends if you have access to the nuts. I don't know they layout on your boat.you may be able to get to the nuts from the front access cover or trolling motor tray. If not you will probably have to cut a small hole in the deck.

Once inside it may be as simple as tightening the nuts or you may have to build up the area with more fiberglass or something like that.

If you have to drill holes try making them small at first and you should be able to find some plastic plugs at Lowe's or Home Depot to cover the holes. I would suggest starting out with a 1 inch hole so you can get your deep socket in to the nut. Not sure but I think it is a 9/16 socket.

3. Member
    pull off the front panel, remove bow eye. cut a piece of hard wood, 6" long 3-4" wide, shape it to the keel, over the holes to the bow eye. lay in 2-3 layers of mat, place wood over the mat. let it kick. lay in a couple of layers on mat over the wood, maybe more chances are you won't have any 1708. drill the holes our, make a backing plate, 1/4" aluminum 3" wide about 5-6" long. done deal.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

I would remove the bow eye from your panel access, sand the area down enough to eliminate the cracks then build back up with glass n resin. Depending on the damage already done, you might have to resin the holes then tackle the sanding-glass job.
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

5. Member
    Hey all,

the damage was more than I thought. Here are some pics. Still
    ANy ideas on how to fix it? Everyone is saying 1708 cloth. I don’t know where to get that. Will a simple repair kit work? I’m making a stainless backing plate and a new block for the bow eye.

6. Member

7. Member

Pic

8. Member

9. Member

10. Member

11. Member

Take the bow eye out, glass resin, filler, sand and spray gel. Drill and install the eye.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

13. Member
    Obviously I am new at this. I can figure it out, but how much do I get? Just one of those fiberglass repair kits or what?

Repair the fiberglass and then get an Extended Bow Eye when using a Boat Buddy clamping system.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Looks like you have been hitting that Boat Buddy way too hard which obviously has caused this damage. I would let a professional fix that.