250 SHO steering tube bushing?

Need information about replacing steering tube bushings, how difficult? Do you have to remove the motor?

Yes, you will have to disconnect the motor from the bracket but you don't have to disconnect any of the cables or hoses. Its a pain in the butt but I have done it a couple of times. In order to do it you should have a motor hoist to support the motor while you remove the horizontal tilt shaft.
    1. Remove the tilt/trim sending unit on the front of the tilt tube.
    2. Install lifting ring on top of the motor
    3. Support the motor with engine hoist
    4. Remove tilt tube
    5. Swing motor back enough to clear the tilt bracket and expose the bushings.
    6. Reinstall in reverse order

I have replaced the bushings just using my trim motor and hydraulic jack plate and a couple of ratchet straps but I wouldn't recommend trying it that way. The biggest pain about doing it is getting the motor lined back up to reinstall the tilt tube.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

3. Member
    He is talking steering tube. On a 2 stroke the powerhead, gearcase and midsection hast to come off.

Butch has it right! I did mine awhile back on my HPDI. I put up some pictures. You Might search under tilt tube bushings
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

5. Member
    Thank you