Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    I think I've decided to go for this - I've given up on getting a glove/coin box like BassCat/Ranger/etc boats have in the center due to not really figuring out how to make it work/seal as the cooler lid also, so am going for the lid swap at least. For those who did the swap - did you have to trim any plastic from the cover, or grind any glass to open up the cooler hole any?

This guy on YT showed his '20 ZX250 and he had to do some trimming to make it fit. Vid is kinda hard to watch but the pertinent stuff starts around the 9min mark...

On my 2008 ZX190, the hole for the cooler was bigger that the new seat/step. I bought some aluminum strips and took them to a local machine shop to weld together. I painted it black, since my boat has a lot of black. I used the welded aluminum to fill the gap that the new seat/step would not cover.

I did do some slight fiberglass trimming at the back.

I love the new look. So much nicer.

Got some pricing from dealer finally. Not sure why Skeeter is so hard to get parts/info/pricing from :(.

Anyway, the Cooler parts list has gone up a bit, now its $355 plus shipping.

Also got pricing for the glove box lid coversion, which is $220 plus shipping.

Honesly, I just don't know if it's worth this much money. My cooler lid is not broken/cracked, but I feel it flex every time I step on it. I had the cushion off, as I really had no need for it, but put it back on as an extra "layer" to cushin the lid when putting weight on it, but probably does nothing lol. But it feels funny stepping on it now.

Still undecided - heck I can get that Basscat Lid with storage cubby in lid and cupholders for less, although there seems to be a pretty long wait. And not exactly sure how it would mount up...

https://basscatstore.com/carpetedstepbox.aspx

While I am deciding, went ahead and did the cooler lid flip so that it opens to the back instead of to the front. Figured would be good excuse to pull the lid/frame and look for any potential issue for an upcoming swap. Easy enough to remove, and I found what has to be probably the worst silicone job that ever left the Skeeter Factory :(. Globs, then nothing, then Globs, then nothing, etc. Anyway, cleaned up all the old silicone, also went ahead and removed the rear pad as I'll never use it. Left the factory hardware/bracket in place for now, may find a use for it ie clipping something to it like cull tags, etc. Anyway, laid down some fresh silicone and it all went back together pretty much the same as it came out, without much fuss.

I did have a bit of water sloshing around in the lid. There is a weep hole, but no water coming from it. So started drilling tiny inspection drain hole, took about 6 or so before I found the cavity with the water lol. Got it all drained out, sealed up the holes with silicone so we'll see how it does. Might have been condensation, or maybe water getting in somehow - not sure.

5. Member
    see how soon you get tired of closing it all the time going up the water at 70mph

Quote Originally Posted by M&M Fishing View Post
    see how soon you get tired of closing it all the time going up the water at 70mph
    Speaking from experience, or?

We'll see I guess - in the other threads on flipping it no ones complained, but I suppose it's possible. It actually closes quite snug, ie it requires a bit of force to seat down into the frame, more than I expected, anyway. In any event, it will likely be replaced at some point with either the FX style lid (which also opens forward) or something like the Basscat lid

7. Member
    I just did the conversion last week on a 2018 ZX225. The new parts fit perfectly. I did not have to shim or cut anything. I am very happy with the change.

20220910_171711.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by thebradybunch View Post
    I just did the conversion last week on a 2018 ZX225. The new parts fit perfectly. I did not have to shim or cut anything. I am very happy with the change.

20220910_171711.jpg
    Looks good!

I talked to Basscat, they are 1 year out at least on orders for their carpeted step box. It's not them, it's the company they order them from (that makes seats for them.). They told me they still have orders outstanding from 2021 :(.

So, going to search a bit for other aftermarket coinbox options, but looking like it might be the FX upgrade for me after all...
    Last edited by 78Staff; 09-19-2022 at 10:16 AM.

9. Member
    One of the best add-ons I’ve done to my boat, go for it, you won’t regret it!

Quote Originally Posted by M&M Fishing View Post
    Just to follow-up, had it out several times, lid never came open on the water or being towed at 70+, so I think it's a non-issue.

Still going to swap to the FX style i think.

One last question - for those who did the swap, do you find the cupholders get in the way at all? I added one of those T&H cupholders to the bulkhead under the cooler area and I found I was always stepping on it/bumping into it for some reason... so pulled it off pretty quick.

screenshot-42.png

Well everything's on order... will post up results when I get everything going...

Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Well everything's on order... will post up results when I get everything going...
    Well appears all the parts are finally in, after 6+ weeks :(. Both for the Cooler Lid upgrade and the Glove Box Lid upgrade. Heading down tomorrow to pick up the parts... As I am single with no kids, this would have been perfect long weekend to knock out some upgrades, if it wasn't going to be 20-40* over the next few days :(.

Picked up everything today - both the cooler and glove box. Did the cooler install today, the glove box will have to wait as I am missing one part still...

Anyway, install was pretty straightforward. I did not have the fitment issue the guy in the video above had, it pretty much dropped right in. Took longer to clean up the old silicone sealant than to the the actual installation really. The back pad screws are hard to get to, I actually goofed and ran my drill against the side of the seat bolster so put a bit of a rub mark on it , but I can live with it I guess. Covered it with some Gorilla tape.

Front two screws are barely long enough, the foam padding is super thick there.

The cupholder is held in place by two screws down through the upper open section between cups, it's probably fine but I do notice there is a gap between the underside/back of the cupholders and the gelcoat. Almost as if there is supposed to be a standoff or spacer or some sort there. I may fab something up just for support under there.

And it's not off center, that's just my dumb butt taking picture at a bad angle...

I left the cup holder off of mine. Just thought it was too cheesy looking to me and my taste.

The cooler lid though is very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I left the cup holder off of mine. Just thought it was too cheesy looking to me and my taste.

The cooler lid though is very nice.
    May do the same, esp depending on how often I accidentally step on it lol...

Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    May do the same, esp depending on how often I accidentally step on it lol...

That was a concern also

I put a wedge under it for now, it's much more solid. Just used some polymer framing wedges like you would use to center a door or window sill.

We'll see how it does...

18. Member
    What did this complete kit cost? What dealer did you order from?

19. Member
    $300 plus shipping is around what I would expect. Wow I was quoted over $600 today and I gave them the past list that is on this post. What is a dealer I can order from. Definity not using mine.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffj6987 View Post
    $300 plus shipping is around what I would expect. Wow I was quoted over $600 today and I gave them the past list that is on this post. What is a dealer I can order from. Definity not using mine.

H&W Marine in Shreveport, LA is a sponsor on here. Might try Fun N Sun in Hurst, Texas 817-280-0303. Diamond Sports at Lake Fork or Weidas Marine. I know all 4 treat people right.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast