Eagles Franchise Tagging and Then Trading Foles?!

Is this a bit surprising? He leads them to a super bowl win and a very deep playoff run this year that could very well have ended up in another super bowl berth.

Lurie has always been a great owner. I’m slightly surprised he wouldn’t just let Foles move on and pick his next team. For what they’re expected to get for Foles, a third round pick, this hardly seems like a good way to part with Foles.

Wonder if I’m missing something here and ultimately, Foles is fine with all this happening for some or the other reason.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...es-sources-say

I think its a great solution. He helped the Eagles win some games and the SB, the Eagles paid him plus getting to play for them put him back on other teams radar for that and he is still under contract with Philly. Eagles should not have to take a loss on him leaving. He was paid well to play so both sides need to honor the contract.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I think its a great solution. He helped the Eagles win some games and the SB, the Eagles paid him plus getting to play for them put him back on other teams radar for that and he is still under contract with Philly. Eagles should not have to take a loss on him leaving. He was paid well to play so both sides need to honor the contract.
    +1

Don’t forget they gave him the $1 million bonus he just missed. Putting the tag on him doesn’t hurt him at all.

This was highly anticipated.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    +1

Don’t forget they gave him the $1 million bonus he just missed. Putting the tag on him doesn’t hurt him at all.

This was highly anticipated.
    That bonus is a great point as well.

5. Member
    Hmm. Nick Foles literally played for a pittance this year. He earned about 10 million or thereabouts. Compare that to many other QBs that win a super bowl in a contract year. A lot of them end up signing huge contracts. Foles ended up coming back for another year.

That seems like something that should be rewarded.

Being able to pick the team you play for is absolutely huge. If Foles had more value as trade material, I could see it, but again, if they’re only getting a third round pick. I think that’s also part of the pressure that comes from the other NFL owners to continue their hard line stance on how they treat their players and do business. Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by 5-20 View Post
    Hmm. Nick Foles literally played for a pittance this year. He earned about 10 million or thereabouts. Compare that to many other QBs that win a super bowl in a contract year. A lot of them end up signing huge contracts. Foles ended up coming back for another year.

That seems like something that should be rewarded.

Being able to pick the team you play for is absolutely huge. If Foles had more value as trade material, I could see it, but again, if they’re only getting a third round pick. I think that’s also part of the pressure that comes from the other NFL owners to continue their hard line stance on how they treat their players and do business. Hmm.
    He earned $10M for playing just a handful of games. He agreed to the contract well ahead of time and had he sat on the bench and not spun a pass he would still have gotten that same money. I see your point but I can't find fault with the Eagles in this at all. They provided the platform he used to get the notoriety. He would probably been out of the league had they not signed him.

7. Member
    I would be surprised if they only get a third round pick. How many teams out there are a QB away from contention?

There could be a bidding war. Or the Eagles could keep Foles as their backup. Or trade Wentz.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

Im sure they will still send him somewhere he wants to go. This just helps philly by getting a pick. Any team that would have signed Foles as a FA will have no problem giving up a 3rd round pick for him.

By tagging him doesn't his contract now becomes one of the top paid in the league. I thought it was an average of the top 5 paid players at his position. If so then he gets paid pretty good for a back-up.
    The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer up someone else.

That is horrible they only paid him 10 million for playing a few games .. modern day slavery

Quote Originally Posted by jc1234 View Post
    By tagging him doesn't his contract now becomes one of the top paid in the league. I thought it was an average of the top 5 paid players at his position. If so then he gets paid pretty good for a back-up.
    Eagles have an option for 20 million to keep Foles for 2019 on their roster. Foles can pay the Eagles 2 million and decline that Option and become a free agent and sign with any team. If that happens the Eagles would get a 2020 Compensatory 3rd round pick.

Foles could accept the 20 million dollar Option from the Eagles for 2019, sign it and then be traded to a team He wants to go to. Highly likely

Eagles could tag him, which would be for for $ 25 million for 2019 then trade him anywhere for a higher pick if there are multiple teams wanting Foles. Very unlikely

Thinking is they may have a deal already in place to trade Foles to a team he is ok going to.