Removing grease from deck

The grease pan on my blackstone griddle overflowed a couple of times and now I have grease stains on my composite deck. Anyone have any idea how to remove it? Ive powerwashed it and put some dish soap on it to soak and washed off. Anything else you would suggest?

2. Member
    Might not even be able to get it off completely. I'm guessing it soaked into the wood. But if I was going to try something maybe simple green ?

I'm afraid of that. I had my grill covered, but the rain would sit on the cover and leak through onto the grill and then overflow the grease container. Finally figured out to cut a piece of plywood to put over the grill under the cover so that the water can't sit on it and leak through.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    If you have a scrap of decking, try some bleach on it to see how it affects the color.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Can't help you with the cleaning, but will one of those oil drip pans from Auto Zone fit under it? I use one under my MES to contain leaks.

Just measured one and it's 24" x 36" .

6. Member
    I listen to a guy on the radio who has a home improvement show etc. He preaches using an oxygenated bleach for cleaning. I cant say ive tried it but he seems to love it. Doesn't specifically push a brand so I cant suggest one.

https://cleanmyspace.com/what-is-oxygen-bleach/

7. Member
    Go on line to the manufacture's web site of the composite decking to see what they recommend if you know of the brand it is. If it's a generation one composite decking it is made from wood bi-product, resin, and plastic/PVC with no protective coating and will be dull in sheen...after time passes with this type of composite decking the resin breaks down and leaves exposed wood bi-product which may be holding the stains...if the decking is of generation 2 or 3 it has a protective coating on top that should not allow anything to soak in... In general my remodeling company uses a mixture of simple green, bleach, and tri-sodium phosphate (TSP) and water...applied in a garden sprayer and then scrubbed and then rinsed off with a low setting on our pressure washer. If your composite is top of the line it will be of generation 4 which contains no wood bi-product and is solid pvc...you can definitely utilize our technique on gen 4 without worry. This technique works very well on pressure treated wood and vinyl siding and is recommended by some of the composite decking manufacturers. Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by edw View Post
    Go on line to the manufacture's web site of the composite decking to see what they recommend if you know of the brand it is. If it's a generation one composite decking it is made from wood bi-product, resin, and plastic/PVC with no protective coating and will be dull in sheen...after time passes with this type of composite decking the resin breaks down and leaves exposed wood bi-product which may be holding the stains...if the decking is of generation 2 or 3 it has a protective coating on top that should not allow anything to soak in... In general my remodeling company uses a mixture of simple green, bleach, and tri-sodium phosphate (TSP) and water...applied in a garden sprayer and then scrubbed and then rinsed off with a low setting on our pressure washer. If your composite is top of the line it will be of generation 4 which contains no wood bi-product and is solid pvc...you can definitely utilize our technique on gen 4 without worry. This technique works very well on pressure treated wood and vinyl siding and is recommended by some of the composite decking manufacturers. Hope this helps!
    Thanks, it's evergrain which I believe is decent stuff, but it's also about 8 or 9 years old so that may make it one of the lower gens. I'll try some things tomorrow while the weather is nice and see what happens. Some of it isn't too bad and you really only see it when it rains. Then there is a big circle that is dark that I really want to at least try and clean it up a little bit so it's not so obvious.

9. Member
    Yes , I would say that due to its age its got to be a gen 1 or at best a 2...a 2 will be glossy and a 1 will be dull and appear slightly speckled...there is a professional grade product out there made by Messmer's that is designed to add color back and rejuvenate the resin to reseal the wood bi-product of gen 1 composites. You may want to consider this some day...but you'll have to coat the whole deck with it. Before applying it, you will need to follow their cleaning and preparation instructions precisely. The best of luck to you!