Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Repower or buy newer buy newer boat?

I can't decide if I should repower my 06' skeeter iclass with a brand new motor with 6 year warranty or use that money and sell my boat and buy something newer. I've got my eyes on a extremely clean 2014 skeeter fx with very low hours but no warranty. What would you do?

2. Member
    I went the repower route!

What's wrong with your current boat ?

4. Member
    I just went through this issue. I was torn between sell what I have for near nothing and buy another rig or re-power. My boat is a 2004 model and needs carpet, some gel work etc so I did not think I would get much for it. I ran across a deal on a new Mercury 200 ProXS Opti for $12K so I jumped on it. I had an Evinrude so changing over was an extra cost. All total I have $15K in my re-power including new jackplate, smartcraft gauges and install. I now have a boat that still needs a little TLC but runs great, fits in my garage and I am used to it. Re-power was the right decision for me but in the back of my mind I know I would be smiling ear to ear with a new boat.

5. Banned
    Depends on the boat. If it's solid and structurally sound and plan to keep it for a while re-power... You'll never recoup the investment... But you'll never recoup the investment in a newer boat either... There's a lot of good deals out there with guys re-powering to the new Mercury 4 strokes so if a used 2 stroke or even a left over doesn't scare you... Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Champ891 View Post
    What's wrong with your current boat ?
    It has a blown motor. I just sold the motor and its coming off the boat Monday. I also have someone interested in buying my hull so I can go either route.

7. Banned
    So you had your mind made up and asked anyway... Dan

8. Member
    When I faced this issue I asked myself: "would I even be thinking about this if the motor wasn't blown?" The answer was no so I have since repowered twice, first time with another Mercury and this last time with a Honda. I am super please and it's already paid for and I love my rig. Good luck with your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    I went the repower route!
    Same here. Cheaper and the boat, an 08', still has plenty of years on it.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd20i View Post
    It has a blown motor. I just sold the motor and its coming off the boat Monday. I also have someone interested in buying my hull so I can go either route.
    Understand now..... you only live once. Buy a Rude and don't look back.

11. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    I can't decide if I should repower my 06' skeeter iclass with a brand new motor with 6 year warranty or use that money and sell my boat and buy something newer. I've got my eyes on a extremely clean 2014 skeeter fx with very low hours but no warranty. What would you do?
    My dad, 3 or 4 years ago, went through this same issue with his 06’ 20I. Like many with the 225 hpdi’s, he had a power head failure 3 different times. Yamaha didn’t warranty the last one. He decided to repower as his boat was in great conditions. He went with a 250 sho and will tell anyone out there it was like buying a new boat. Totally changed his view and still loves it.

In that case I would probably go with the new boat if my budget allowed.

13. Member
    I went the repower route. Love my Champ.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    Depends on the boat. If it's solid and structurally sound and plan to keep it for a while re-power... You'll never recoup the investment... But you'll never recoup the investment in a newer boat either... There's a lot of good deals out there with guys re-powering to the new Mercury 4 strokes so if a used 2 stroke or even a left over doesn't scare you... Dan
    A lot of truth in the above scenario and I most certainly can identify with the outcome after 45 years of full time boating. I wouldn't trade the joy and experience boating has afforded me or my family.....pretty much ingrained and a part of our lives. But, it comes with a cost......mostly throw away in the final analysis. Keep em long enough and you get what the trailer is worth.......lol....

15. Banned
    Seems like you have already decided as your heading states twice about buy newer.

If my motor blew tomorrow, I'd re-power. Hull is 6 years old, still in great shape.

17. Member
    When my motor finally died I was faced with the decision to repower or upgrade to a newer model. My wife said something that made a lot is sense to me. She told me that I couldn’t catch any more fish out of a new boat than the one I’ve got. So I repowered. I’m happy with my decision.

18. Banned
    The place up the road is having a blowout on Suzuki™ and Evinrude™ but after taking My Merc to them it is running like an absolute top.. If it takes a dump, I think I'd step up to a 175 but try another brand.

19. Member
    I like warranty especially on a used rig. I would either try to find a used rig with at least a year or so of warranty or repower and get the 6 years. A 2014 has a pretty good chance of having a major issue in the next 6 years so it may be a lot cheaper to repower and have no major engine expense for a long time.

20. Member
    If I manage to blow my engine, I'll be getting a new boat. I like my boat, but I don't love it, so I won't be crying to get rid of it.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast