Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question They Hull pump housing cracked

Got to the lake tonight launched boat idled to houseboat I'm staying at and noticed auto bilge pump started pumping. Discovered livewell intake pump housing leaking badly. The housing pictured just fell apart when I felt it. This is the housing attached to the thru hull fitting. I didn't trust my auto bilge overnight with my boat floating over 120 feet of water so pulled it out for the night. I replaced the actual thru hull fitting last year because the area felt loose when I took possession of the boat. It is solid as a rock and I'm certain no water coming in around fitting and don't want to replace the base. The pictured housing has screws that remained on the thru hull fitting base. I just need a new housing put on the thru hull fitting base. Anyone ever had this issue? It APPEARS to be difficult to get those screws out and put new ones in considering the thru hull is siliconed in down in bilge. Please don't tell me I have to remove the thru hull fitting and redo all that. That would be terrible. These are CARTRIGE housings. Am I missing something? Is it possible to remove the screws from under the thru hull housing base and screw a new one in?
    Last edited by BassCatKev; 02-01-2019 at 11:32 PM.

2. Member

3. Member
    Was my situation controversial Holeshot?
    Anyway, I spoke with a boat mechanic that appeared certain that you can't replace the housing on this part because it's screwed in from bottom and is not made to be unscrewed. And since my housing separated itself from those screws it all has to be replaced. I just replaced this thru-hull piece last year. It's solid as a rock tight with lots of silicone. I figured it would never need replaced again since when pump goes bad you just pop a new one in the housing. But apparently I'm going to have to redo the whole freaking thing since that housing leaks and is busted. It's a shame one couldn't screw in a new housing. It was extremely cold in my area a few days ago (-21 wind chill). Boat is kept in garage but some water lingers down in my bilge. I guess I got burned by not sopping it up with towels or Shop-Vac before the cold arrived. I went ahead and followed a friend's advice and whittled a wine cork (found one in the houseboat) and plugged the fitting to salvage the weekend. I actually never thought of that. So will keep some corks in my boat for the future if that helps anyone out.
    Nobody commented on the original post but if anyone reads this and knows of an alternative other than cutting out all the silicone and replacing entire thru hull, please let me know.

I would sure call BassCat and ask, they know better than anyone

Oh yeah that happens on older pumps. Should be able to replace the whole pump. U may have to replace the thru hull fitting too.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Oh yeah that happens on older pumps. Should be able to replace the whole pump. U may have to replace the thru hull fitting too.
    It is all brand new. Nothing wrong with pump. Just the housing. I'm asking if anyone has ever replaced JUST THE HOUSING.

7. Member
    Not controversial at all Kevin.

Being a teacher I would think you would know the popcorn emoji indicates that I am patiently waiting for an answer in case I ever face this situation.

We can all benefit from learning the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    It is all brand new. Nothing wrong with pump. Just the housing. I'm asking if anyone has ever replaced JUST THE HOUSING.
    I've replaced pump housings before, but since the screws that hold it to the thru hull fitting are on the underside you will most likely have to remove the whole assembly from the hull. Can't say for sure without seeing how yours is mounted but a most times the screws aren't accessible.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

I can't see in the pic you posted what the model of that pump is. Does yours come straight up thru the hull or does it come thru the transom and the pump is vertical ? If you do have to change out the whole pump and thru hull it shouldn't be a big job unless access is a problem. If you do put an all new one in consider using something other than silicone to bed it in.
    Proud Army Dad

10. Member
    It's a Johnson SPX. The thru hull fitting goes through the transom. Pump is vertical. I just bought a small ratchet screwdriver that I think I can get underneath fitting (between floor and fitting) to remove old screws with broken plastic on them and put them back up into new housing. I may put a little silicone on screws while at it. Sounds like some folks with lengthy boat repair background say I should go ahead and remove entire fitting. But I'm 99.9% sure the thru hull has zero damage, is totally solid and in no way leaking. I visited a BPS tonight and a very helpful worker in parts showed my how smoothly the screws backed out of and went back into the fitting/housing with no damage. There are 3 screws and the "back"of the cylinder housing just rests in a created depression in the fitting. There is an O-ring that sits where bottom of pump goes into water hole of fitting. I recovered this ring and can reuse it. Going to try all this tomorrow with my new tool. If it doesn't work you guys who have tried to tell me to replace it all can tell me I told you so!!

I know it shouldn't be a big deal but I REALLY BAD don't want to have to get under that stepped hull on my back and start cutting out a perfectly solid and sealed fitting, clean it all up, then install a new one. My arthritic body is not excited about that if not totally necessary.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    Not controversial at all Kevin.

Being a teacher I would think you would know the popcorn emoji indicates that I am patiently waiting for an answer in case I ever face this situation.

We can all benefit from learning the solution.
    Actually the popcorn emoji is generally used when a controversial or hot button topic is about to be "discussed". First thing you do when you go to the the theater is get your popcorn and soda and settle in for the show.

If you have room underneath it you could also use a 1/4" philips bit with a 1/4" ratcheting wrench or socket also to remove the screws. I can tell you that there would not be a battle getting that thru hull out if bedded with silicone since you probably didn't scuff it up , clean with denatured alcohol and then bed it. Throw the silicone overboard , does not belong below the waterline.
    Proud Army Dad

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marinetechnician View Post
    If you have room underneath it you could also use a 1/4" philips bit with a 1/4" ratcheting wrench or socket also to remove the screws. I can tell you that there would not be a battle getting that thru hull out if bedded with silicone since you probably didn't scuff it up , clean with denatured alcohol and then bed it. Throw the silicone overboard , does not belong below the waterline.
    Thanks for the additional tips regarding tools. I didn't understand "you probably didn't scuff it up." I personally feel good about the silicone. I appreciate your concern. IF I had to redo entirely, what would you suggest I use if not silicone? I recall many people suggesting the marine below water level silicone I currently have down there was best option. I don't want to take this thread off primary topic but always wanting to have the right information.

14. Member
    Kev, since Basscat installed it, I'm sure it can be removed. They didn't build the hull around it. I have my boat sitting outside my garage right now trying to thaw my livewell system out. I have to use it Wednesday and when I went to close my livewell drains, they wouldn't move, they are frozen. I hope my housings didn't break.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass_Hawg View Post
    Actually the popcorn emoji is generally used when a controversial or hot button topic is about to be "discussed". First thing you do when you go to the the theater is get your popcorn and soda and settle in for the show.
    Thank you for the explanation. My intent was to sit back and learn and never expected this thread to become controversial.

If anyone is offended, I can delete my posts but will still watch to learn how this problem is solved.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    Thank you for the explanation. My intent was to sit back and learn and never expected this thread to become controversial.

If anyone is offended, I can delete my posts but will still watch to learn how this problem is solved.
    No worries at all Holeshot. I'll admit I was frustrated when I asked you the question. I agree 100% that others can learn from this. I hope you take something useful away as well. I learn so much on these forums and hope to give back in some way when possible. Glad you are taking interest in this thread please stick around I'm hoping to dig into this project this evening and report back.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Kev, since Basscat installed it, I'm sure it can be removed. They didn't build the hull around it. I have my boat sitting outside my garage right now trying to thaw my livewell system out. I have to use it Wednesday and when I went to close my livewell drains, they wouldn't move, they are frozen. I hope my housings didn't break.
    I have no doubt it can be removed. I removed the original thru hull and replaced it myself last year when I took possession of the boat. The thru hull itself was loose along with the fact the housing was busted. So back then I redid everything. Hoping to just replace the housing if I can get under there. I'm going against what several respected folks are telling me. I just think I can save myself a lot of unnecessary work. I could be wrong. We'll see. I just know somebody out there, probably someone who has my exact boat model, has experienced this issue before. But maybe all of them just replaced the whole thing. I don't want to go that route if I don't have to.

18. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I don't think I've ever seen just the housing sold separately, even though it is a cartridge motor pump, the intent is to replace the motor not the housing. The motor is sold separately but you will have to replace the complete assembly and re-seal it.

19. Member
    [QUOTE=ChampioNman;10014373]I don't think I've ever seen just the housing sold separately, even though it is a cartridge motor pump, the intent is to replace the motor not the housing. The motor is sold separately but you will have to replace the complete assembly and re-seal it.[/QUOTE

Housing is never sold separately. Always sold with a pump. I realize that and the intent. I will have an extra pump. I guess I hope you are wrong in regards to having to replace complete assembly. I can't believe nobody has ever JUST HAD THE HOUSING BREAK and tried just replacing the housing. I'll certainly find out soon if it can be done.
    Thanks

20. Member
    I've given it a solid effort with the tool pictured. It's tougher than I thought because I'm struggling to get screw bit fitted and also have space to turn. The fitting is right above a thru hull transducer. BUT I'M STILL TELLING YOU ALL I THINK IT CAN BE DONE I'm not yelling just wanting to be accent my thoughts. I'll spend a $100 on a specialized tool that can get under there and turn screws in and out before having to remove thru hull and re-silicone. And I'm still surprised somebody else hasn't wanted to do what I'm doing for the same reasons.

Pictured tool was purchased at Harbor Freight. Anybody know of a little better tool (thinner and maybe battery powered) that could do this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast