250 v 300 on a Puma

So if you were to repower with a new 4 Stroke Pro XS.......

which would you chose? 250 or 300?
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

2. Banned
    If you fish anything other than clubs, 300 is not sanctioned

Quote Originally Posted by Phisherman View Post
    I dont
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

4. Member
    I have a 2016 Puma and if Yammie made a true 300 SHO, I would trade my 250 in a heartbeat. I know I can flash it, but I still have 3.5 years of warranty left.

There are a lot of events with only maximum boat HP ratings allowed. The limitations are mostly Bassmaster and FLW events.

For example, Bass Champs (TX) is open to USCG ratings, as are CATT, Carolina Bass Challenge, OMTT, Alabama Bass Trail, Arkansas Bass TeamTrail and many more events allow Max. HP to the USCG labeling.

lol hope it's not your portly co-angler that's got you thinking about the 300 :).

7. Banned
    There's actually only 20hp difference between the two and they make within 1ftlb of torque...
    https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/offroa...w-001-0490.pdf

That’s our opinion, there’s not a huge increase in ponies. We do wonder about the actual ponies varying from the CARB reports. We did note the torque also and that plays huge on heavier loads and boats.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    That’s our opinion, there’s not a huge increase in ponies. We do wonder about the actual ponies varying from the CARB reports.
    I wonder as well, but it's an official government document that the manufacturer supplies for emissions purposes so I don't see a reason for lying as we know what happened to VW with the diesel gate scandal. I've always found outboard power ratings strange being so vague. It'd be like boats being classed only in 1' increments with a 6" tolerance, so you could have one boat company claiming their 19' boat (really 18'6") is the same as another 19' boat (really 19' 6") because of a +/- 6" rule. Or in the case of outboards +/- 10% which can cause stickered ratings to overlap with actual propshaft numbers.

10. Member
    The most common issue is HP@RPM. Manufacturer chooses the RPM. Ford de-rated the V-10 used in the F53 chassis a few years ago. Yet the parts are the same. Just the RPM chosen (lower) dropped the HP. Yet the pre and post-rerating F53s perform the same. A prop shaft dyno is the easiest way to compare power levels.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    There are a lot of events with only maximum boat HP ratings allowed. The limitations are mostly Bassmaster and FLW events.

For example, Bass Champs (TX) is open to USCG ratings, as are CATT, Carolina Bass Challenge, OMTT, Alabama Bass Trail, Arkansas Bass TeamTrail and many more events allow Max. HP to the USCG labeling.
    This. With my skill set, I'm on no danger of being drafted to fish Bassmaster or FLW events anytime soon so that's why I went with the 300.
    2018 BassCat Lynx
    Mercury 300R

Beautiful Grand Lake
    Grove Oklahoma

Due to the limited gain, I would go with the 250. Further more the 300 is going to cost more coin innitialy, then your insurance premium will more than likely increase. The 300 is probably not quite as fuel efficient as the 250 not that either one of them are. Finally, when it comes time to sell the boat you lose a lot of your potential buyer's because of tournament body restrictions/rules.
    Brian Schuler
    USMC Retired

A true Hero gets out of bed every morning and goes about lifes daily tasks unnoticed, unassuming, and unsung.

A true Hero takes on responsibility, speaks kindly, acts fairly, endures patiently. And facing every day with simple strength.

A true Hero persists in the things that really matter.

2013 Allison BasSport Pro Elite
    Mercury 250 Sport XS

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Phisherman View Post
    Not true

Covered

15. Member
    To Basscat:
    Just a thought, but have you tested a Puma, Cougar or Eyra with the new Mercury 300R 4 stroke?

They ran the Eyra with the 300 Pro XS and have it with the 300R and have not released details.

17. Member
    It is not just the Bassmaster/FLW issues with a 300, when you go to sell your boat, you will have less of an audience for that motor