Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Florida Gated Community 55plus

We are contemplated relocating to Florida. We would be looking for a Gated and safe area. No preference right now. Trying to keep in the $150,000 area. Not interested in a Condo. I need to be able to keep my Boat at the house. If anyone has thoughts on an area or live in one now, any info would be much appreciated. Probably looking in the Northern half of the State. Pro/Cons . Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    North Florida helps, but it's still not going to be easy to find your unicorn available.
    Think more like $200k and you can't keep your boat on the property except garage.

We are in an open community, mostly seniors though, and it's $225-300k average.
    And that's the smaller stuff and no waterfront, Lakeland, and no boats outside.
    HOA is very restrictive, but it's very nice. Full time gated, and manned, security.

IM sent.

4. Member
    Ocala area. In fact my wife and I live in Ocala and are looking to build a new home in the area in the next couple year's. We found a builder (Highland Homes) that will build extended length garges on their floor plans. No more having to angle my boat in my 2 car garage.

I will say there are plenty of 55 and over neighborhoods around here in your price range. I would avoid them however due to homeowners association fees, rules, small lots and small 2 car garges.

There are plenty of other neighborhoods in the area with less rules, bigger yards and more customized home opportunities.
    Last edited by BassCatBrad; 02-01-2019 at 06:48 PM.
    Brad Krone

5. Banned
    Northern = colder.

This is the current listing for waterfront homes. I waited too long on one off of Lake Hernando for $204k

This is homes For Sale around Lake Henderson in Inverness, Fl.

https://www.zillow.com/inverness-fl/waterfront/

https://www.citruscountycentury21.co...s-for-sale.php

On the 2nd link look for the house on Paradise Point. This is off of a canal that is LOADED with both Bass and sunfish..

If You're on Zillow™ check: Lake Hernando, Fl. waterfront homes for sale. This will lead You to "ArborLights". But those also usually comes w/a monthly nut..

I live in Arbor Lakes off Lake Hernando.Why do they name every cove as a different lake down here ? lol So to be specific I live very close to the private launch in Lake Todd. If I was just looking down here I think I'd check out the Sebring area.Brad, my builder is Tony Mancil. He lives in Ocala. GREAT guy who does great work . He works with his son and they are caring and always available.He's built 2 houses for me to our specs with the extended 3 car garage. Can't say enough good things about him.Check out Mancil Construction.

7. Member
    We rent for 2 months at The Villages just south of Ocala. Yea the place is riddled with STD's and Orgies so said a 60 minutes report 20 years ago. The place has everything you need. 43 golf courses. 30 are free golf if you are renting or own. They have ponds stocked with Florida Strain Largemouth. Only got 1 over 5 pounds this year but a lot of 3-5 pounds. Activities to suit everyone. We play Pickleball which they have 188 courts available. Best part is you can travel the whole area in a golf cart. We put over 600 miles on the one we had this year. The Harris Chain of lakes is 10 miles away.

Best idea is to rent places until you find something that fits your needs. One thing we noticed this year is there is a real estate mania going on down here. People are lining up to buy houses. We have been coming to Florida since i retired in 2014. Never seen the market like this.

Good luck hope it works out.

8. Member
    150K. good luck. More like $300K and would still need something that would fit the boat in the garage. Home values have doubled (some more) in the last 5 years
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

9. Banned
    I'd do TheVillages™ after reading about the orgies, and here I am going to bed at 11:00 every night when I could be driving around in a ClubCar™ in just a robe

burn that from memory

If I did it again I would move to Alabama!!

12. Member
    Make sure you fully read the by laws of the association before you buy. Better you find out what you can and cannot do before.
    2017 Z521C with Evinrude G2 250 HO
    2020 RT198 with Merc 150 Pro XS

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eagleeye299 View Post
    Make sure you fully read the by laws of the association before you buy. Better you find out what you can and cannot do before.
    Yes, read the deed restrictions. We really like them.
    Keeps properly values up and problems WAY down.

14. Member
    A realtor once told me that a HOA community is good until it is not. She was right. Check it out before you buy. See how many in the community are in violation of the laws and how long it takes the HOA legally to do something about it.

15. Member
    An HOA is only as good as the board members... Get the wrong Board Members and they WILL make you wish you never moved into an HOA community. As soon as I get rid of my house in the gated community with the HOA, I will not live in another community with an HOA,

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

16. Member
    My parents rented a home and after some change over in the board they moved on. Rules included not being able to leave your garage door open for any length of time, you were to open it then back your car out then immediately close the door. The other included no flags what so ever, my parents use to fly a small American flag as well as a Canadian one and got notified to removed them.

17. Banned
    Agree on the HOA rules. Buddy moved to northern Fla in a gated sub. He could only have his boat in the driveway 4 hours a day. Could not have his wrapped truck ( He is a guide back home ) outside overnight. They sold the house after 6 months and move to a non HOA area. He said the Old People had nothing better to do than report violators and enfore the rules.

many years ago we almost bought a nice home in a community on the ocean.Was almost signing the contract ( pen was in hand ) when we informed no boat in the driveway and no flag. End of that deal. Here in Arbor Lakes, I fly the flag as do many others,about the only rules are you can't park your broken down junk in the yard and you must keep your property looking neat.The neighbors don't run and cry for no reason. Live and let live. Although there was a mustard colored home that made me puke once

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walleyeguy456 View Post
    ….. He said the Old People had nothing better to do than report violators and enfore the rules.
    You're right, now close that damn garage door

20. Banned
    The wife and I had 2 requirements when we were looking for our first house, no pool, no HOA. Found out the house we liked had an HOA, but it was not mandatory to join. After we were here few years, the old retired USAF JAG down the street tried to get it made mandatory for all to join the HOA and he was told in no uncertain terms that it would not be allowed to happen. Vote was 76 to 14 against.
    The HOA system down here sucks for the most part for the simple reason that there are too many Northerners coming down here to retire and have nothing else to do. Have to agree with Manatee Mauler......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast