2012 150 four stroke 1b925382

How do others manage to access the #4 plug on your engines without standing on your head and twisting your arm and hand in silly positions? Would taking the upper cowling seal off or loosening the mid section in front help? The hardest part is getting the plug back in straight and not cross threaded!!!

Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!
    Dennis

2. Member
    I use a swivel socket and have never had any issues getting to that one. Just take your time.

3. Member
    Like mentioned getting it back in is the big issue! My hands don't contort enough to get there easily. I too use swivel to tighten once started. Thanks.
    Dennis

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Piece of fuel line is very helpful (or better yet, clear vinyl tubing) when reinstalling plug. Helps to prevent cross-threading.

You could remove the port side lower cowling for better access if you wanted.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thanks Don for the tube suggestion, I had not thought of that one. I think I'll try that next time before going to the trouble of removing the cowling.
    Dennis