The TOUGHEST outboard EVER MADE!!!!

I used to own a 1996 Mariner MAG III (Mercury XR6) and that was one tough motor! A few years back it started running rough and I lost a couple MPH top end...after about a year of it running that way I took it on to a professional mechanic and this is what he found...... the amazing part is it had been like that for over a year! After new reeds a leakdown test was performed and it tested at 8%! No damage was somehow done to the motor despite eating those steels reeds....one of the few times I can say I was incredibly lucky!

"Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Definitely very lucky!

Your engine is covered one forum down the list (for next time).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. BBC SPONSOR
    Yes,you have a great motor,and the odds were in your favor...We see lots of motors damaged from the steel reeds on rubber cages.Hopefully you had them replaced with good composite reeds,if not you should,Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Carson's Marine View Post
    Yes,you have a great motor,and the odds were in your favor...We see lots of motors damaged from the steel reeds on rubber cages.Hopefully you had them replaced with good composite reeds,if not you should,Chris
    yes they were replaced with Carbon Fiber reeds!
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"