New Evinrude Owner...NMEA Question

New Evinrude owner here....Model# E105DJLABK...Serial# 05538753. I have NMEA question. I currently have the motor connected to a Garmin EchoMap Plus 93SV via NMEA network. On "standard" screens I'm currently able to see RPM, voltage, temp, fuel flow, engine hours, fuel used. I currently cannot see trim level. Beyond this I'd like to customize a screen more specifically to my needs. The Garmin unit lists 100's available options to monitor...understandably my motor is not equipped to give everything.

If given a model & serial # can Evinrude and/or a dealer tell me what data I should currently be able to see?

Here are a few pics of the new motor.

IMG_4507.JPG IMG_4508.JPG
    Last edited by tobyfrommo; 02-01-2019 at 01:17 PM.

2. Member
    You will have to choose analog trim gauge or trim to be displayed on the Garmin, will not be able to accomplish both. If you wish to have the digital trim on the Garmin you will need to install a 47 ohm resistor in the trim circuit.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evinrude57 View Post
    You will have to choose analog trim gauge or trim to be displayed on the Garmin, will not be able to accomplish both. If you wish to have the digital trim on the Garmin you will need to install a 47 ohm resistor in the trim circuit.
    I'm wanting the trim displayed on the Garmin...but...no idea where/how to install a 47 ohm resistor.

4. Member
    Install the 47 ohm resistor between the white and tan wire you would normally connect to the back of an analog trim gauge and a purple acc on wire.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tobyfrommo View Post
    I'm wanting the trim displayed on the Garmin...but...no idea where/how to install a 47 ohm resistor.
    E57...I think I'm getting this figured out. Can you please tell me if I'm on the right track?

What I know...I currently have no trim gauge at the helm. I wish to see trim via Garmin 93SV & N2K network. I have confirmed I have part #176340 wiring harness in my boat. I believe this harness is also referred to as System Check Harness or MWS harness.

I found an article on the internet titled "Advanced E-Tec Rigging" by James W. Herbert. This article explains the various wiring harnesses and/or the various methods the trim circuit operates.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/ref...gAdvanced.html

Within this article I found this sub section...

NMEA-2000 Gauges with System Check or MWS Wiring HarnessSome boats had existing rigging with the System Check or MWS harness but wanted to go to NMEA-2000 gauges and not also have a dedicated traditional trim gauge. In this situation the System Check harness can be used if an external 47-ohm 5-watt resistor is added. The resistor can easily be added by wiring it to the leads which were intended for the conventional analogue trim gauge. The 47-ohm resistor is just wired between the 12-Volt circuit (VIOLET) and the trim sender circuit (WHITE with TAN STRIPE). Doing this creates the same arrangement as exists with the I-Command Wiring Harness. Electrically there is no difference. The simplest method for most boaters to obtain the necessary resistor is to purchase one from Radio Shack. They have a 47-Ohm 5-Watt resistor that is suitable.

To my understanding...the violet wire and white/tan wire should be at the helm, currently unused. If I find these wires, simply connect the violet wire to the white/tan wire with the 47ohm resistor. Is this correct?

6. Member
    Done.

I installed the 5w 47ohm resistor and I'm now getting a trim signal via the N2k network on the Garmin. Now all I need to to do is calibrate the signal for proper reading.

Anyone know where I can purchase the Evinrude diagnostic software and cables?
    2019 Weld-Craft 1960 Mod-V
    2019 Evinrude Etec 150/105 Jet
    Minn Kota Ultrex 24v-80#-45"
    Garmin EchoMap Ultra 122SV, GT54UHD (Front)
    Garmin EchoMap Plus 93SV (Front)
    Garmin EchoMap Ultra 102SV, GT56UHD (Console)
    Panoptix Livescope, GLS10/LVS32

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    It isn't cheap the Ebay version won't work on the G2 you need EVdiag level 6 the cable and data link.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    It isn't cheap the Ebay version won't work on the G2 you need EVdiag level 6 the cable and data link.
    he does not have a G2?
    Pool 10

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mc Gregor View Post
    he does not have a G2?
    You got me.

10. Member
    My motor is a Gen 1.

I'm currently inquiring on two different options for the software. I've sent an email to www.brpdiagnostics.com asking about their software. I also found a website www.etecownersgroup.com The host of this page, Barnacle Bill's Marine, sells the software. I'm told the software sold on Ebay is boot legged versions sold from out of the country...which I assume likely means no support if I would have issues with the software.
    Last edited by tobyfrommo; 02-21-2019 at 08:09 PM.

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Joe won't be back until the 26th of the month but will respond to email. You are correct the EVdiags on Ebay are from out of the country.
    The current part number is 5008689 and lists for $317.30. The G1 has pretty much run its course so there probably aren't any map updates for them. When you talk to Joe ask him about the consumer version.

12. Member
    Joe won't be back until the 26th of the month but will respond to email. You are correct the EVdiags on Ebay are from out of the country.
    The current part number is 5008689 and lists for $317.30. The G1 has pretty much run its course so there probably aren't any map updates for them. When you talk to Joe ask him about the consumer version.
    Thank you for the feedback. I'll send Joe an email and ask about the consumer version. Do you know if the consumer version will give me the ability to calibrate my trim sender?

Another question for you...I'm running XD100 oil. It was suggested I make sure the engine was configured for XD100...in this case, using the better oil, I assume the engine would use less oil? Is this true?

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I can't comment on consumer version as I have no experience with it. You can check your oil setting by lifting the cowl off there should be a tag that says what your oil setting is, either TC-W3 or XD-100.

Normally a jet drive is run mostly at full throttle compared to a propeller powered boat because it is not as efficient so more power is needed at the same speed. If that is the case, it is recommended that the oil programming is set to the TC-W3 setting as that could be considered heavy duty use.

If your normal operation is mostly at part throttle, then the XD-100 setting is OK.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAHORSE View Post
    Normally a jet drive is run mostly at full throttle compared to a propeller powered boat because it is not as efficient so more power is needed at the same speed. If that is the case, it is recommended that the oil programming is set to the TC-W3 setting as that could be considered heavy duty use.

If your normal operation is mostly at part throttle, then the XD-100 setting is OK.
    I can't comment on consumer version as I have no experience with it. You can check your oil setting by lifting the cowl off there should be a tag that says what your oil setting is, either TC-W3 or XD-100.
    Thanks guys...where exactly would this tag be?

I've sent Joe an email and left a phone message but I've not heard from him yet. Has anyone had any experience with www.brpdiagnostics.com?

16. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Joe just got back from his Vacation and is closed on Monday's. He'll be open tomorrow, but will be getting ready for the NJ boat show. I have no experience with Brp diagnostics. The tag should be near the EMM.