96 200 EFI Fuel pump/computer question

Working on a 96 200 EFI with the XRI style computer. The high pressure fuel pump runs continuously, even with the key in the off position.

My question is: Is there anything else in the system that could cause this other than a defective computer?

The engine will start and run, but obviously if the pump wont shut off its going to run the battery down and or burn the pump up.

On key-up, what causes the pump to stop running? Is it a pressure cut out, or is it a computer time out?

Thanks in advance

Could be the driver in the computer or the pump. I had that happen one time and it was the pump.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info each time you post. Thanks!

ECU modulates the GROUND for the fuel pump. Something is grounding the negative pump terminal.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor