Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Allison Trailer Steps ??

I have had the steps since they were new. Really like them. Curious if they are still designed to fit over a spur and held in place with a hitch pin??

Has anyone figured a way to attach it more securely so it doesn’t move? It’s not an issue, and they work great, I would just like the handle to be more rigid if possible.

Thanks-
    MET/ XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite - 300xs

2. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    I wasn't sure what you were referring to til I read this a few times. You talking about the curved grab handle/bar where it fits over the stud and is then held in place with the hitch pin yuo mentioned, eh? I didn't like that either. My step/handle was installed by me cuz my boat is a 2013 and that accessory was not available back then.

Anyway, I went to Fastenal and purchased a SS allen head set screw type bolt with a long shoulder to fit inside the pole/stud so there were no threads inside the pole. I then bought 2 SS spacers and a SS nylock nut. the spacers were to keep the bolt spaced evenly on either side. I tightened it as much as possible but it still has some wobble but not nearly as much as before.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

3. Member
    I have the new steps on my trailer and to install them I had to remove the trailer winch, put the steps on the tube steel of the winch mount, align the 2 bolt holes where I removed the winch, then put the winch back on on top of the step mount. Sounds a lot more complicated than it is really. In simple terms take off the winch, slap the new steps back in the same location and put the 2 bolts back on as you mount the winch back. The older steps used a hitch pin to mount huh? That does seem like it would allow a little play.

4. Member
    Johnny did you buy them from Allison or Boatmate?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hooken203 View Post
    Johnny did you buy them from Allison or Boatmate?
    Mine came from Allison direct.

Wow Craig- I went back and read my post. You deserve an award for figuring out my question. I installed my steps myself as well. I was referring indeed referring to the grab handle that slides over a stud and a hitch pin holds it in place. I am trying to picture what you described and thanks for responding.

Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    I wasn't sure what you were referring to til I read this a few times. You talking about the curved grab handle/bar where it fits over the stud and is then held in place with the hitch pin yuo mentioned, eh? I didn't like that either. My step/handle was installed by me cuz my boat is a 2013 and that accessory was not available back then.

Anyway, I went to Fastenal and purchased a SS allen head set screw type bolt with a long shoulder to fit inside the pole/stud so there were no threads inside the pole. I then bought 2 SS spacers and a SS nylock nut. the spacers were to keep the bolt spaced evenly on either side. I tightened it as much as possible but it still has some wobble but not nearly as much as before.

7. BBC SPONSOR
    Michael, the new step "post" has been modified, there are now 2 bolts holding the post to the trailer instead of the single pin. Should be an easy mod, drill out the existing hole, drill a 2nd hole, install a bolt with acorn nut and lock washer on each.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

Thanks Tim. Will do.

Thanks

9. Member
    can you provide a pic tim?
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

67CF477E-7548-49F7-AEBA-C3E6E9C15233.jpegI had mine welded. Works good. Very strong.
    Last edited by SP1973; 02-03-2019 at 05:00 PM.

11. BBC SPONSOR
    can you provide a pic tim?
    Text sent....sorry I took the lazy way out
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

12. Member
    haha....got it thanks

I may need to remove my step assembly and take it to a machine shop to have a second hole drilled. Don't think I can drill a perfectly straight hole with a hand drill through that kind of solid metal.

What size fasteners Tim?
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

13. BBC SPONSOR
    I will check tomorrow but I believe they are 1/4-20.
    Fastbass Marine LLC

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    I will check tomorrow but I believe they are 1/4-20.
    Tim are you speaking of the bolt size on the new boats winch? I doubt it but in case you are they are a lot bigger than 1/4-20. closer to 3/8-??? Don't know the threads but they are pretty good size bolts.

15. Member
    Johnny we are asking about the bolt size that holds the grab pole on the new step assembly
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

16. Member
    Johnny we are asking about the bolt size that holds the grab pole on the new step assembly
    10-4. The ones with the acorn nut. Yea those are about 1/4-20.

17. BBC SPONSOR

Ya senile ole goat! No, we are talking about the bolts that hold the pole on
    Fastbass Marine LLC

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

18. Member
    I thought someone posted a pic of the steps with the handle but can't find it. Are they made for a boatmate trailer with swing away tongue and will they fit another hull on a boatmate? Can someone post a pic? I've made a single step for my trailer but as I recall the Allison steps had 2 plus the handle.

19. Member
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post

Ya senile ole goat! No, we are talking about the bolts that hold the pole on
    Your slow then. I done answered that! LOL. You better sharpen up buttercup if you gonna bust a hunnert! LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast