Charles Sim

Seminole Questions

So I've been doing some research for an upcoming event on Seminole, and the re-occurring theme is danger danger, lol, stumps everywhere.

So my question is, is it that bad? Is there an aftermarket boatlanes chip available/needed as there is on Lake Fork or Rayburn?

Also, is there a reciprocal license agreement? I have Florida, but do I need a GA license as well?

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to figuring out this lake.

Charles

2. Member
    Yes, there are tons of stumps and it can be bad but there are also enough marked channels you can use to get most places on the lake but when you leave them its best to idle because most of the trees have rotted off just below the water. There are no boat lane chips I'm aware of and I fish it regularly and really no need if you exercise some caution. Spring Creek and Fish Pond Drain which are the major arms off the Flint River are will marked with pole with reflectors but I would caution to run pretty slow the first few times because some of the poles are pretty far apart and can be hard to see and especially in low light condition. The flats off the rivers are generally not marked but it's really not a long idle to the shoreline especially once you get up the rivers a ways.

You will need a Georgia license as there is no reciprocal agreement and the bulk of the lake is in Georgia and it is also the better marked side. I would highly recommend you get a Georgia license.

Its great lake but can be finicky and feast or famine but you can fish any way you like, shallow, deep or in-between. It's a great grass lake and the grass seems to be in great shape right now but please keep that a secret from the "authorities".

I hope you have a wonderful trip and catch a bunch. PM me if I can help.

Oh, and if you figure out the old girl please contact me because after forty years I certainly haven't LOL.

3. Member
    Post storm even a few of the boat lanes are not safe as of yet.. The storm re-positioned some trees and put a few new ones in place.. A friend of mine just did 14,000 in damage to his rig running inside a marked boat lane ... So if you're there please be safe..

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VictorM. View Post
    Post storm even a few of the boat lanes are not safe as of yet.. The storm re-positioned some trees and put a few new ones in place.. A friend of mine just did 14,000 in damage to his rig running inside a marked boat lane ... So if you're there please be safe..
    What boat lane was he running? What part of the lake?

5. Member
    Victor, hope you are doing well. Now that some time has passed since the storm, are you and family getting things put back together?

6. Member
    Victor, sorry about your friend's boat. Been there done that.......more than once. Do you happen to know which channel and what area? I've been running up Spring Creek and the drain like I own them and haven't seen anything but that doesn't mean much. I know there was a floater in the SC channel last year between Sealy's and Rattlenake Point that is gone this year and that scares me a little. Any help as to location would be appreciated.

7. Member
    B-47.. slowly getting things going back in the right direction my friend.. thank you sir for asking..

Champ don't quote me but from understanding it was in the cut that runs from Spring Creek headed toward Cypress Pond area somewhere closer to the SC end before it starts to neck down.... I'll double check and make sure though.. He missed it going in but not coming out.. I myself have ran all the way north of the bridge in SC and had no problem there...

8. Member
    There were many free floating trees a couple weeks ago. You have to remember the Flint has been flooding pretty good for a month now and it's bringing trees that were downed by the storm into the lake every day. I'll be back out there this weekend. I'll post what I see

9. Member
    Thanks Victor, I haven't been through Cypress Run yet, I started through from SC but ran into where the canal almost blocked and turned around before I even got to the first pond. Figured there might be more before I got to the drain. I went almost all the way through Jack's run a couple of weeks ago and got within sight of the Flint and it was blocked so I had to turn around.

Poppin Frog, I haven't been far up the Flint at all but you're right there have to be lots of stuff still to come down both rivers. What I''m afraid of is floaters and those that may be hung up just below the surface.

10. Member
    There are two new stumps/trees that are just above/below the surface (depending on water level) right where you turn from the boat lane in spring creek to head towards Winngate's pass. I have pushed a few logs out of some of the other boat lanes as well, including one that was about 2.5 ft around and about 16ft long... Most everything is easy to see when the lake is calm but once it gets windy some of these logs bob up and down in the water and can disappear for a few seconds. One of the logs I removed from a boat lane had several skeg marks on it...

11. Charles Sim
    Thanks for the info guys. Appreciate it. Horrible the damage from that storm. I’ve been trying to study the lake on google earth and all the downed trees show up everywhere.

I might actualky get get out there this weekend before I fly home. Doesn’t look like I’m making the cut on Toho. Lol

12. Member
    Anybody ever stay at Seminole Lodge? I went last year about this time and camped at Three Rivers, but the campground was wrecked by the storm and hasn’t reopened. I need a decent place on the lake to stay, preferably one where I don’t have to trailer my boat every day.

13. Member
    I haven't stayed there in several years but I know from passing by on the lake that the store got the gable end blown out. I have no idea if the motel is open or not or what the condition of the rooms is. I stay at Big Jim's over on Spring Creek and the motel there is just a place to lay your head, not nasty but old. They had some damage but are open and coping. They have some cabins and a couple of trailers that are a step up. Trails End just a few miles away is on the Chattahoochee and has some small cabins also. I've never stayed there but my fishing partner has and liked it Neither place ha covered slips due to the hurricane but ramps are right there and each has a restaurant on site but the Trails End is only open Wednesday thru Sunday. Big Jim's is closed Mondays. Launch at either one, Trail's End for the Hooch or Big Jim's for the creek or Flint. It's easy to cover the whole lake from that area. Better plan ahead right now because of all the workers in the area doing cleanup work everything stays booked up.

14. Member
    I’m probably not going to go until the fall, maybe next winter.