Vault Bearing Went Bad

I decided the start of this year to get my 2012 Ranger Trail trailers brake and bearing system checked out. I was having no issues but I was starting the 8th year of towing and I wanted to make sure everything was ok. I have already experienced two separate blowouts with ruined fenders running those Carlilse China bomb tires. The Vault system on the trailer has the 10 year warranty. The boat shop said there was no wobble with the tires and brake system was in good shape with no issues. They told me as part of their inspection they like to take the Vault system apart and check the bearings. I said if it is part of the inspection process go ahead and do it. The passenger side was fine and they said the bearings looked good and recommended to replace them at the 10 year mark. The second set showed that the outer bearing was getting ready to fail. So they replaced it and its companion bearing as well. Based on this experience, I do not think I will let the Vault system on my trailer go more than 5 years without having it serviced. I lucked out this time.

2. Member
    Yep mine are 5 years old and I’ve had 2 fail. Last one I never felt a thing and lost the whole hub tire and rim somewhere. About to replace all of them just to be safe

3. Member
    Man with your experience i think Im going to rethink my situation and have them change the bearings on the other side out even though the bearings looked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by La Boy View Post
    Yep mine are 5 years old and I’ve had 2 fail. Last one I never felt a thing and lost the whole hub tire and rim somewhere. About to replace all of them just to be safe

With your appreciation of the "C B" tires you may want to investigate the origin of the new bearings. You can end up with new bearings that will fail quicker than an older high quality bearing that has been properly maintained. Don't go cheap with bearings, but even some of the better known bearings are being outsourced.

5. Member
    The failing bearing in my Vault system was a Timken bearing. Timkens went back in. Bearing box said made in US. You are right about bearing or things like that could be outsourced. I had a bearing on the pinyon gear on my 2010 F150 go out. Luckily it was caught before it did any major damage to the rear end. It was a four bearing set and the bearing that went bad was not a Motorcraft bearing but a Chinese made bearing. The other three bearings in the set were stamped Motorcraft. The failed one was not. The mechanic had to take it to the Ford dealership to physically look at which was the correct bearing because the bearing number on the bearing was no where to be found in the Ford system or Timkens as well. Timken is suppose to be the bearing supplier for the Ford rear ends. At least it is what the Ford parts people said. Anyway it was Chinese junk that failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    The failing bearing in my Vault system was a Timken bearing. Timkens went back in. Bearing box said made in US. You are right about bearing or things like that could be outsourced. I had a bearing on the pinyon gear on my 2010 F150 go out. Luckily it was caught before it did any major damage to the rear end. It was a four bearing set and the bearing that went bad was not a Motorcraft bearing but a Chinese made bearing. The other three bearings in the set were stamped Motorcraft. The failed one was not. The mechanic had to take it to the Ford dealership to physically look at which was the correct bearing because the bearing number on the bearing was no where to be found in the Ford system or Timkens as well. Timken is suppose to be the bearing supplier for the Ford rear ends. At least it is what the Ford parts people said. Anyway it was Chinese junk that failed.
    Just wanted to give you a heads up, but sounds like you have a handle on it. Timken has always been what I requested when I needed anything bearing related. A few years ago I learned that they too were outsourcing the manufacturing of some of their products to China. But if the box say's US made you should be good to go.

7. Banned
    How many miles would you guess you had on them bearings.

I am at 9 yrs on my Vault hubs and no issues.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Just an FYI, the inner seals and SS wear rings on Vault hubs are the same that UFP uses on other hubs and are subject to wear out. According to the literature about the hybrid oil, it thins out when the hub heats up. Does anyone know if the oil thins out enough to leak out of a worn inner seal/SS wear ring?

There is a reason that UFP discontinued putting oil bath hubs on boat trailers. I had oil bath hubs and converted to grease.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

10. Banned
    If grease leaks out ,Im sure the oil will.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    I am at 9 yrs on my Vault hubs and no issues.
    They do advertise no service needed for 10 years and will warranty their system. To answer the mileage question I had 30 to 40 thousand miles easy on them and have made several 1100 to 1200 miles one way tows on them. My new F150 has a mileage accumulator on the towing package that on the truck. I will be able to tell from now on how much mileage I specially put on the boat trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    They do advertise no service needed for 10 years and will warranty their system. To answer the mileage question I had 30 to 40 thousand miles easy on them and have made several 1100 to 1200 miles one way tows on them. My new F150 has a mileage accumulator on the towing package that on the truck. I will be able to tell from now on how much mileage I specially put on the boat trailer.
    Read the fine print. 10 years only if you pay extra. 5 otherwise.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhjr. View Post
    Read the fine print. 10 years only if you pay extra. 5 otherwise.
    Yep and I sent them my money. A set of the replacement bearings was only $15 so I did not mess with any warranty claim.