Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WHY No locker lifts in the boats .... ?

Is there a good reason for not putting pneumatic lifts on all the lids in the boat? I like everything about the Vexus but that one deal is a huge question mark for me.... maybe I am missing something and it's more than just saving some cost. Surely the Fiberglass models will have these with the heavier fiberglass lids .... maybe that's the reason - it just hit me as I was typing....are the aluminum lids too light to accomodate the lifts proper operation?

2. Member
    It was all about trying to hit price points. Those gas shocks are not cheap and they would have had to add their margin on top of that. The fiberglass boats will have aluminum lids also. Very few bass boat manufacturers use fiberglass lids anymore.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    Never stop believing and never stop chasing your dreams.
    Galatians 6:9

www.kgfishing.com

USCG Licensed and Insured Fishing Guide - Lake Murray and Clarks Hill

So they will be Aluminum-Infused Fiberglass Hybrids

4. Member
    You can also install these on the boat yourself. Friend of mine has a RT188 that he did it to, they work great and it was inexpensive.
    VC Marine
    Cashion Rods
    Lew's
    Vexus Boats

2022 Vexus VX21, 250 ProXS

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kgfishing View Post
    It was all about trying to hit price points. Those gas shocks are not cheap and they would have had to add their margin on top of that. The fiberglass boats will have aluminum lids also. Very few bass boat manufacturers use fiberglass lids anymore.
    If they're trying to cut expense, I'd be surprised.
    Those shocks are about $10 each (their cost), and the stainless hardware is about another $10 each shock (their cost). So at $20 for each shock, and using 2 in each of the 3 large bow storage/rod compartments, that's $120...
    My boat came with 2 shocks in bow center rod locker, with staineless hardware.
    Last edited by PolarKraft195; 02-04-2019 at 06:35 PM.

6. Scraps
    Labor to design and install adds up. Also one more thing to add to production, or take out to save time. Also one less thing to break.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

7. Banned
    [QUOTE=gwa5bfish;10001712]Is there a good reason for not putting pneumatic lifts on all the lids in the boat? I like everything about the Vexus but that one deal is a huge question mark for me.... maybe I am missing something and it's more than just saving some cost. Surely the Fiberglass models will have these with the heavier fiberglass lids .... maybe that's the reason - it just hit me as I was typing....are the aluminum lids too light to accomodate the lifts proper operation?[/

I agree, the centre (which it has) and the two larger lids on each side on the front deck should have gas assist pistons. That's just two more, if anything they could have added it as an option or on thier upgrade package they offer.

8. Member
    The outer lids rest on the gunnel of the boat, really no need for a gas assist shock, those lids are fairly small as well, i guess the only disadvantage is the lid could blow shut while you were removing rods and possibly break one.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by happykamper View Post
    The outer lids rest on the gunnel of the boat, really no need for a gas assist shock, those lids are fairly small as well, i guess the only disadvantage is the lid could blow shut while you were removing rods and possibly break one.
    This. If the lid can stay open on its own then it doesn't need the piston.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

you can buy the "spring style" and install yourself, not hard to do and you can put where you'd like them to be.

T-H MARINE LID AND HATCH SUPPORT SPRING. 15 BUCKS W/ HARDWARE.
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

11. Comanche warrior MassBass320v's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C0MRAD View Post
    Until you get a strong wind which causes the locker to slam closed busting the rod tip you were just pulling out, or cracks you on the melon.

I think the 'price point' argument is a bad one considering how inexpensive these struts would be
    __________________________________________________ __
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by C0MRAD View Post
    My ranger glass rig has all piston supports on front deck. Including the side ones, they can stay open on their own. The centre rod box is a no brainer, I just think for the cost of a medium priced rod that will snap when the lid accedently closes vexus can add those supports.

13. Member
    I would gladly pay for factory installation and I believe an overwhelming majority would as well .... still don't understand the reasoning and it seems I am NOT alone on this topic.

14. BBC SPONSOR
    There are actually a couple reason there are no lid shocks on the rod lockers! NONE of which have anything to do with trying to make the boat less expensive!

1.) How many times do you get in and out of the rod locker outside of the boat? With a lid shock on there, the lid won't really open far enough to easily do this. Without the lid shock on there, you can open it up see inside the locker. Add or remove rods at the house, hotel, wherever to work on them. If you have the shocks you are constantly pulling against them. Then when your in the boat they open up to more and better access as well.

2.) This eliminates drilling holes for mounting hardware, making your rod boxes that much more waterproof. Every hole you drill is another chance for water to leak into the boxes.

At first I was surprised by the lack of shocks on there as well, but after it was explained to me and I looked at the big picture it made and makes perfect sense! There is less of a chance of a lid closing on a rod time with it all the way open as well, as opposed to 1/2 with a lid shock on it (Over time).

At first I was surprised by the lack of shocks on there as well, but after it was explained to me and I looked at the big picture it made and makes perfect sense! There is less of a chance of a lid closing on a rod time with it all the way open as well, as opposed to 1/2 with a lid shock on it (Over time).
    We will have to disagree on this one and that is fine.... Shocks to me are a necessary feature that far out weighs not having them. I would always prefer them vs. not having them....

16. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    So what i am hearing, if we start putting lid shocks on front deck lids. i can expect to sell more boats ?

DONE ! - tell your local dealer to add "Front Deck Lid Shocks" to your order as an option..

when should we expect your order ?

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sclark View Post
    So what i am hearing, if we start putting lid shocks on front deck lids. i can expect to sell more boats ?

DONE ! - tell your local dealer to add "Front Deck Lid Shocks" to your order as an option..

when should we expect your order ?
    every little bit counts!

18. Member
    sclark - I am trusting you are serious and can make this happen! I will most likely be ordering the fiberglass model if it compares favorably to the Ranger. I am expecting it too!

19. Member

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyPickle View Post
    Looks really nice. Which struts did you get and any issues? Maybe it's an optical illusion but in 2nd pic, looks deformed at where it mounts on the lid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast