Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Ranger to Basscat

Buying a new boat in the next 2 weeks thinking on a basscat can anyone on here tell me if they came from a Ranger to a Basscat and what I can expect from a 521c to a cougar ftd ride, handling, troll motor down stability etc thanks in advance it will have the new mercury 4 stroke I'm torn between a z520c and a cougar.
    Last edited by TopgunZ521C; 01-31-2019 at 09:44 PM.

2. Member
    I be dead honest and nobody can argue this there isn’t a better boat with the TM down than a Ranger closest I’ve been in was Phoenix and it was still distant.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

3. Member
    Might want to look at the Basscat at Lynx as well.

4. Member
    LAMOON78 THANKS BUD

5. Member
    Sports1 lynx is out of my range best price I could find was 83k

6. Member
    You can't beat a ranger for quality a little more money but I think its worth the investment.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lamoon78 View Post
    I be dead honest and nobody can argue this there isn’t a better boat with the TM down than a Ranger closest I’ve been in was Phoenix and it was still distant.
    Plus, absolutely the easiest boat to load on the trailer ever made. I guarantee you a 10 year old kid can do it perfect EVERY time. Ranger has definitely perfected the self centering concept on their trailers. And yes, I owned 2 Bass Cats before this Ranger. Not bad mouthing BC, just stating a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunna View Post
    You can't beat a ranger for quality a little more money but I think its worth the investment.
    I disagree. Just look at hull blisters. Rangers are somewhat known for them while it is rare to hear about them from a BCB. Rangers do make a great boat but I much prefer the Basscat layout and forwatd trolling motor. For me HANDS DOWN a Basscat is a better made boat with the TM up or down. Crawl through both, looking at the details and choose.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

9. Member
    Both great boats. Not much between them. Ranger's have great rides, very stable. Fit and finish is a tie. Both companies have awesome trailers. I will say the BassCat will be faster hands down. No plastic trim crap in a BassCat. The most important thing in my opinion is customer service after the sale. I don't think any bass boat company has better customer service then BassCat.
    Brad Krone

10. Member
    I have a Basscat and have owned or ran most other models of big named brand boats. I’m the kinda guy that will shoot you straight about anything and for what you are looking for in a boat as stated above you should stay in a Ranger go with the 520 IMHO.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

11. Member
    I went from a Bass Cat Cougar to a Phoenix 920 and now run a Ranger 520L. The Ranger is hands down the best boat I have owned for me. It depends on what you are looking for. Both companies build great boats and trailers. I prefer a wide deck and 99 percent of my time is spent with the troll motor down. Honestly, nothing beats a Ranger with the troll motor down. The Bass Cat will be much faster. Another advantage I will give Bass Cat is not having any plastic parts. One thing I don't care for on my Ranger is the big automotive looking plastic panels. I considered a Lynx but didn't like the storage layout. If I were looking at a Bass Cat, I would get a Caracal. That is my favorite layout. Good luck with your decision.
    Last edited by mgstroud1960; 02-01-2019 at 08:17 AM.

Sounds like the only real way to tell which one suits you best is to take a ride in a cat see how it performs to your desires. You have already been in the ranger, so you know what it will do. Why take someone else's opinion when you can go see first hand.
    "heard it in a love song.........can't be wrong"

I have said it for years .. when you drop the troller it is hard to beat a floating dock .. (Ranger)

I would find it hard to believe a Ranger is more stable than my Jaguar on the troller. I think you are splitting hairs at this point. Buy what you prefer.

15. Member
    I would definitely ride and fish out of the 520 even though you have a 521 and then do the same for the Cougar. At least that way no matter what boat you get you will have no regrets.
    2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    2018 G3 Sportsman 1710

16. Member
    Using the word "investment" referring to any "bassboat" is like an oxy moron, just don't go together.

17. Member
    TopGun - I went through this agonizing decision making process last summer after 5-years in a 520C. There is plenty of "heat" out there but I think you need "light" on what's important to you. I did a full-on old-school, military-style, weighted criteria, decision matrix to select the best option for me using Ride, Layout & Storage, Deck Space, Fit & Finish and Customer Care. There were things about my old boat that drove me insane and were important to me to avoid. I will gladly share them with you if you like - just PM me.

I disagree big time.

19. Member
    If money was no object, Ranger wouldn't even make my short list.
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

20. Member
    I live in Illinois, you can't pitch a jig without hitting a Ranger here. I've fished out of many. Ranger makes a good boat. To say that a Ranger is "better" than a Cat though is ridiculous. My last three boats have been Basscats and I don't ever see myself in another brand. Basscat quality of build is at the very top of any list that doesn't include Bullet or Allison IMO.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast