I have a question to someone that has had both pp & talons

Which do you like best and why.

Reason for asking is I have pp on my boat now . Had the about 8 months no problem at all . really like them . But I just bought a new boat that has talons. would like some heads up about either of them. Give the good and bad of either if you don't mind.
    Thanks Tony
    LIFE IS GOOD
    STILL CAN'T CATCH A FISH.

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator

3. Member
    There was a thread comparing the two types/brands just last week. Lots of folks running both and providing opinions of one over the other. If you can search for that thread it may provide information useful to you. I dont recall who had started it or the title now
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open

4. Member
    Forgot to say I prefer PP over Talons and I have used both. To me the Talons are too noisy but they do work well. I had one minor issue with my Port PP and found the company to be very customer friendly. Truly the best customer service I have ever had .
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open

5. Member
    I have had both and like Talons better. I have power poles on the new boat they came with the new to me boat. I do not like the pumps on the power poles and how you have to hold the button for them to come up or down and in some situations i do not think power poles hold your spot as well . But at the end of the day this is a ford or chevy question.Do you like ford or chevy. Just my 2 cent.

6. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Big J Mac View Post
    I have had both and like Talons better. I have power poles on the new boat they came with the new to me boat. I do not like the pumps on the power poles and how you have to hold the button for them to come up or down and in some situations i do not think power poles hold your spot as well . But at the end of the day this is a ford or chevy question.Do you like ford or chevy. Just my 2 cent.
    you dont have to hold the button, simple double tap and they automatically extend , double tap and auto retract.. sure would suck to have to hold the button.

7. Member
    ^^^^ thanks for the good advice I will have to give this a try it will help me a lot I’m sure lol

8. Member
    I personally own PP 8 blades. I have fished co angler on boats with Talons. IMO I would LOVE to have access to anchoring in the 12 foot bottom range. That can only be done with Talons. Don't believe the hype regarding noise making. Talons don't have pumps and will sound louder to your ears because none of it is in the bilge. PP have pumps down there. But I agree it's totally Ford/Chevy except for the fact that one could be more functional for a certain person's situation/preferences and the waters they fish.

Another vote for Talon. I have fish out of boats with both and they both have things I like and dislike but in the end I chose Talon...if i bought a boat and it already had Power Poles then I would leave them on there but if it had no shallow water anchors then I would buy Talons.

They get stuck from time to time. I like that I can drive fwd to get PPs unstuck.
    PP service is top notch
    with PPs, I can lower mine easily when fishing under branches, or backing into my garage
    PPs are an overall lighter setup.

I have heard some loud power pole pumps, but mine are very quiet. I have heard loud Talons and I have not heard many more.

I think you get what you want, they are both proven good products.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

11. Member
    I’ve had couple of sets of both. Pros and cons are different but I’d call it a dead heat. IMO, both are great products and I’d never consider one so much better that I’d take the other off to put the opposite on. 2 biggest issues is the weight of dual talons seem to really affect some boats more than others. And some boats just don’t have the room to mount power pole pumps.

12. Member
    I have 8' blades and like them. It's a preference as what a person chooses pp or talons. Both great products and innovations within the fishing industry. I like the pp service and if I needed something it typicaly arrives from FL in 2 days. If you have pp or talons and limited garage door clearance you can add the tilt brackets from Hydrila Gear.

At this point with the spot lock on the motors, the depth argument is an non issue IMO.
    Boatless

14. Member
    Picture of battery cut off switch and the fuse,case.
    Attached Images Attached Images

15. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by javelin90 View Post
    Picture of battery cut off switch and the fuse,case.

16. Member
    Well here is my take on them. Both are really good. But talons DOES NOT have the customer support that power poles have. I had a small problem with the pp call pp & talked to a guy that help me then when we figured out the pump was bad no questions asked 1 was in the mail. I have a really load squeal in 1 of the talons only in deeper water. Called minn kota was told to take it to a dealer I just wanted to know if I could adjust something . it was a lady and sorry to say she knew nothing about her product . She did read me the way to clean them in deep water.
    LIFE IS GOOD
    STILL CAN'T CATCH A FISH.

17. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tharris811 View Post
    Well here is my take on them. Both are really good. But talons DOES NOT have the customer support that power poles have. I had a small problem with the pp call pp & talked to a guy that help me then when we figured out the pump was bad no questions asked 1 was in the mail. I have a really load squeal in 1 of the talons only in deeper water. Called minn kota was told to take it to a dealer I just wanted to know if I could adjust something . it was a lady and sorry to say she knew nothing about her product . She did read me the way to clean them in deep water.
    story sounds all to familiar