Question about new 4 stroke V-8 250 Pro XS

I am thinking about getting a 4 stroke V-8 250 Pro XS. My 2 stroke Pro XS had a strainer filter in the engine that you could not get to it... if it got trash in it on the water. That deal gave me fits down here on this Delta with all the hydrilla and stuff in the waters. A guy down here who is a design engineer for an oil industry service company designed an exterior strainer that you can clean out on the water, and I got one and that solved those issues for me. Does anyone know if this new motor has a strainer in it anywhere???? AND IF SO...DOES IT HAVE ACCESS TO IT? Thanks fellas.

2. Member
    there was a post earlier about this regarding thermostats.and strainer was mentioned. do a quick search
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

3. mikesxpress
    The strainer is easy to get to and requires no tools to remove/clean it. Nothing like the Opti where you had to drop the lower cowling. Engine flushing is also easy and requires no tools. Just hook up the garden hose and turn on 1/2 way for 5-10 minutes.
    And based on the water flow diagram, this actually flushes the system in reverse of the intake!! **You cannot run the engine with the flush. Use the ears and block the bullet intakes for on-trailer operation. Note: The engine does some screaming like you never heard before when you flush it.

4. Member
    Thanks. If I coulda caught that Mercury design engineer who designed that Opti strainer crap, we woulda danced.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would also encourage you to look very carefully at where you were operating that you were picking up that debris. The cooling system on the 4-stroke will not tolerate problems with supply or debris (and you would never want to overheat it).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor