Hayward or Vilas County for smallmouth??

So a while ago I had posted about going to Vilas County this June. Our group hasn’t booked anything yet but Hayward has come up in conversation. Now we’re on the fence about which area to go with. Our main focus is smallmouth if that helps pick a direction. Thanks if anyone has any suggestions or info

2. Member
    Vilas and Iron would be my choices. Are you looking to camp, motel, resort? Focused 100% on fishing? I know both counties pretty well and can give you some options based on what all you guys focus will be on. Obviously smallies, but where exactly would depend on accomodations and non fishing activities y'all may be looking at. PM me if you want

3. Member
    Just fishing. We’ll be getting a VRBO whichever route we go. Our trip will consist of fishing from sun up to late afternoon/early evening then heading back to the house for some supper and drinks.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sayner View Post
    Vilas and Iron would be my choices. Are you looking to camp, motel, resort? Focused 100% on fishing? I know both counties pretty well and can give you some options based on what all you guys focus will be on. Obviously smallies, but where exactly would depend on accomodations and non fishing activities y'all may be looking at. PM me if you want
    sent you a pm

5. Member
    I'm pretty sure Northern Wisconsin is booked for the season... Try again next year.

6. Member
    Sounds good. Will do

7. Member
    So our group is staying up near Round and Grindstone Lakes in Sawyer County. We’ll be up there June 5-9. Anyone have any updates on the lakes around the area? I’ve looked all over online and haven’t found much. I assume the fish are still prespawn? Maybe not? I haven’t found anything in water temps or reports. Anyone have any info out there?

8. Member
    Water on LCO was 56’ yesterday. On the water for an hour and caught a couple nice smallies. If you catch a window of nice weather should have a good trip,

9. Member
    Was on Round yesterday. Water was 52ish by the time we left in the afternoon. All fish were prespawn. If the sun comes out this week it should get them moving up even more. I think you'll hit the spawn just right on those dates
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    250HP Evinrude E-Tec

"Haulin' Ass and Chasin' Bass"

10. Member
    Thanks for the information guys. Just not much for reports that I can find on Lake-Link, IDO, or the different guide websites I’ve searched. Just trying to find some general information on what to expect when we get up there. We’re strictly catch and release. I really appreciate the information

11. Member
    I just returned from Hayward, Grindstone, the spring trip is just guys and it is primarily to open a cousins house. We put in the pier boat lift and all the other seasonal maintenance a north woods house requires. I always bring my boat and sneak away to fish. 5/23 the water was 49 degrees. I was not too optimistic. I found them shallow and I crushed them. They were shallow like 4-9 FOW. I usually start w big walleye suckers and search deep to shallow to find a depth to start. They were in the sand flats surrounding the big rock bars, not in the rocks but on the sand flats around them. Biggest 19" a bunch of 18's and 17's if I didn't hook up every 5 minuets I was antsy. Over the weekend I worked too much and fished too little. I have fished especially Grindstone, LCO, and Big Round since my depth finder was an 18' string tied to a brick and a bleach bottle. I would put the area up against any place I have fished for SM. Tuesday the work was done 5/28 the water had warmed a bit 53-54. The big girls were else where but I boated 28 SM between 15' - 16' (OK maybe 2 12") in 3 hours, this time in the rocks. With a NE wind blowing that morning it is hard for me to fathom. A 3/16 B Fish N gold jig with either a SK rage tail or Kietec swing did 98 percent of the catching a few on motor oil colored tube. I would take Big Round for big average size Grindstone for numbers and fish LCO for it's irregular shape when it's too windy to fish Grindstone
    Last edited by grindstone; 05-29-2019 at 11:39 AM.

12. Member
    This is all good information. I really appreciate it.