Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Amistad in March

Thinking about taking my son to Amistad for spring break March 9-17. Being this is my first time on the lake, I'm probably going to hire a guide for the first day. Any recommendations as to guides and lodging. Or any other advice. Thanks

2. Member
    Two guides that I know is Ray Hanselman and Rick Harris. Ray might be out of town because he fishes the Bassmaster Elite series and if he is I would get into contact with Rick Harris. Rick is a new guide down there but is a good fisherman and has been on the lake quite a few times to say the least. You can find him on facebook and twitter.

3. Banned
    Ray Hanselman is good if you can get him, Stan Gerzney is good too his number is 830-768-3648. I’m not recommending any places to stay down there.

I don't see the point in hiring a guide on that lake. Just get out there and look down. If the fish are there, you will see them. If you don't see fish, move. It's that simple in March.

Take lots of white X-Raps.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by utinator View Post
    I don't see the point in hiring a guide on that lake. Just get out there and look down. If the fish are there, you will see them. If you don't see fish, move. It's that simple in March.

Take lots of white X-Raps.
    It’s not that simple anymore, water clarity isn’t what it used to be. It was better sight fishing at Falcon last year than Amistad for us last year.

6. Banned
    Not sure what size boat you’ll be running, but the wind always blows in the spring time. Don’t try going up the lake in a small boat without watching the weather forecast.

Edit: my mistake, the Ramada has an indoor & outdoor pool for the kiddo.
    Last edited by grout-scout; 01-31-2019 at 10:18 PM.

7. Member
    Kurt Dove knows this lake about as well as anyone.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Not sure what size boat you’ll be running, but the wind always blows in the spring time. Don’t try going up the lake in a small boat without watching the weather forecast.

Hampton inn has an indoor & outdoor pool for the kiddo.
    Where’s the indoor pool. I bet I’ve stayed there30 nights and never seen it? Mattof fact I was there two weeks ago and hadn’t seen an indoor pool.

If the last 6 months are any indication as to the March fishing THIS year. You would be well ahead to a hire a guide since you've never been there.
    If your not in the right areas you may never see a fish if all you do is..."just get out there and look down"
    Since all the motels out by the lake went belly up---- pick the chain motel in town you like and hurry,, they have been known to fill up for spring break... I would try Hanselman or Dove If they have prior commitments they can get you a back up.

Andy, be sure you get a guide that is licensed to guide on a National Park Lake, which Lake Amistad is. There are restrictions and licenses required that makes it different from a normal lake. You might check with the Park Service for a list of licensed guides 830-775-7491, there will be a large tournament on March 16th.

Good Luck and I hope your son has a wonderful time.

Debra

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonMan250 View Post
    Where’s the indoor pool. I bet I’ve stayed there30 nights and never seen it? Mattof fact I was there two weeks ago and hadn’t seen an indoor pool.

Crap, my apologies and I’m retarded. My wife said it was the Ramada that had the indoor pool. The hotel with the White Horse bar in the front.
    Last edited by grout-scout; 01-31-2019 at 10:20 PM.

12. Banned
    Crap, my apologies and I’m retarded. My wife said it was the Ramada that had the indoor pool. The hotel with the White Horse bar in the front.
    Now you are making sense!

13. Member
    Thanks to everyone for all the replies and advice. We will be in a Legend Alpha 211. Plan on staying strictly on the U.S. side. With the wind in March, sounds like I finally need to invest in an Ultrex. I can hear the conversation with my wife now.

Wife: You're gonna spend how much on a trolling motor?
    My reply: But it's for our son's enjoyment. You're not going to deprive him are you?

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Boone View Post
    Thanks to everyone for all the replies and advice. We will be in a Legend Alpha 211. Plan on staying strictly on the U.S. side. With the wind in March, sounds like I finally need to invest in an Ultrex. I can hear the conversation with my wife now.

Wife: You're gonna spend how much on a trolling motor?
    My reply: But it's for our son's enjoyment. You're not going to deprive him are you?

lol, can’t deny happiness for the child.

15. Banned
    Now you are making sense!

Damn, you are just like my wife.

16. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Damn, you are just like my wife.
    He's worse ... believe me!!

17. Member
    Also may be available is Olen Jenson (licensed), TR Andres, James Burkeem (stop buy Karleens Tackle he can help with or without guide)..

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    He's worse ... believe me!!
    Yuck fu

19. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Yuck fu
    Getting a rise out of you is good for the soul. I thought you were headed for Big Blue?

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    Getting a rise out of you is good for the soul. I thought you were headed for Big Blue?
    I’m leaving town now, had to work this morning!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast