flipping- palomar or snell ?

I hope to try and flip more this year and have heard various opinions on the tie. What do you folks use and why ? Never had a problem with the palomar and it's easy and strong. Hear the hookset is better with the snell.

2. Member
    Snell for me with beavers or a more vertical presented bait to induce cam effect of hook into roof of mouth and palomar for dragging baits out off the bottom.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by soulfisher View Post
    Snell for me with beavers or a more vertical presented bait to induce cam effect of hook into roof of mouth and palomar for dragging baits out off the bottom.
    +1
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

4. Banned
    Matt Snell... Which one You ask?

images-1.jpeg Unknown-2.jpeg

5. Member
    I pretty much always fish a Trilene knot, but add one step at the end. Only other knot I use at times is the Repala knot.

6. Member
    Both, prefer a snell but if hook does not have a closed eye I use a palomar.

7. Member
    I used both but prefer the snell unless I tie it backwards and the hook goes in the wrong direction when I set...

8. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Only time I snell is when Im flipping a 3/4 + oz.. Then it's a straight shank flipping hook with welded eye and snell with 60+ braid.

9. Member
    Snell knot helps me flipping big weights >3/4oz in relatively shallow water <3', rarely get bit on the fall because its so shallow, most bites come when I pull the bait up to the bottom of the mat and shake it. Since there really isnt a thump like worm fishing where you can reel down and feel the fish and you cant see your line jump like when you get bit on the fall you don't get to really put a lot of weight in to the strong hook set. That snell helps get a hook in the fish when they grab it and just pull back. Thats based off my experience anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    Matt Snell... Which one You ask?

images-1.jpeg Unknown-2.jpeg
    hate the jets but Matt was pretty good

snell it is, thanks folks

Geaux Tigers

11. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I need to learn to snell my hook. On Roland Martins show last week he was flipping and showed how he tied his hook with the snell knot. Every time that 1.5oz sinker came down that hook point went straight out! I wanted to learn it but Roland went too fast for me to pick it up. I’m going to watch some videos and get some straight shank hooks to use.

I never used a straight shank hook before so it wouldnt work for me, but his little infomercial hooked me!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

12. Member
    Weights up to 3/4 oz.. I use a Palomar knot. For weights greater that 3/4 oz., I use a snell knot with a small bead between hook and weight. The bead helps keep the bait straight on the line as the big weight pushes on the bead head instead of pushing the bait down on the hook.

Fitzgerald Fishing makes a ceramic flipping bead specific to the flipping application although any small bead will work.

I've always just used the Palomar - FX2 braid and typically 1-1.5oz with Heavy Flipping hooks Trokar or Hack. I recall an article I read a while back mentioning the snell could actually cost you bites on a flipping setup, although I don't recall the exact reason why at the moment. But this thread sparked my interest, so I've tied a snell on my flipping rig for tomorrow and will give it a try.

Ive had better hook-up ratios with the snell. I cant remember exactly who, I believe it was Larry Nixon, uses a snell & straight shank even dragging a worm.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboat View Post
    Weights up to 3/4 oz.. I use a Palomar knot. For weights greater that 3/4 oz., I use a snell knot with a small bead between hook and weight. The bead helps keep the bait straight on the line as the big weight pushes on the bead head instead of pushing the bait down on the hook.

Fitzgerald Fishing makes a ceramic flipping bead specific to the flipping application although any small bead will work.
    I'll co-sign the bead. When the Bass seem to be locked onto Crawfish or fishing the Withlacoochee up by Rousseau, I'll use 3 or 4 beads. ChinaMa...Walmart™ has some decent ceramic beads and they will mimic the sound Crawfish make when moving pebbles...

Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    I'll co-sign the bead. When the Bass seem to be locked onto Crawfish or fishing the Withlacoochee up by Rousseau, I'll use 3 or 4 beads. ChinaMa...Walmart™ has some decent ceramic beads and they will mimic the sound Crawfish make when moving pebbles...
    Yeah I am a bead fan as well, a little knot protection and some clackity clack clack as well . Sometimes tying a snell on a hook with a keeper setup can strain my vision/patience - but not as bad as the FG lol

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Yeah I am a bead fan as well, a little knot protection and some clackity clack clack as well . Sometimes tying a snell on a hook with a keeper setup can strain my vision/patience - but not as bad as the FG lol

That is why I went to these 2 hooks; With the BIG keeper it takes for ever to get the knot out of there.. With the nylon on these You can just slide it down a tad and snip..

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Deco...age-DCYFS.html

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Owne...cpage-OJF.html

Nightmare:

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Laze...e-LTTTBHK.html

In the old days You could burn the line but this plastic gets hot, quick! hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    I need to learn to snell my hook. On Roland Martins show last week he was flipping and showed how he tied his hook with the snell knot. Every time that 1.5oz sinker came down that hook point went straight out! I wanted to learn it but Roland went too fast for me to pick it up. I’m going to watch some videos and get some straight shank hooks to use.

I never used a straight shank hook before so it wouldnt work for me, but his little infomercial hooked me!
    I often wondered if the snell was so good why not use it on other set ups. If Larry Nixon uses it on worms why wouldn't I ?

google works with a few good videos. Pretty simple.

As for the beads, I used them up north but I wonder about them down here. Do our lakes have that big a craw population to make it feasible ? Plus there mostly grass and weeds opposed to gravel and rock.Doug Hannon believes quiet is better most of the time. Then again, what do I know ?