Thread: 198 pump out

Puddlepirate198

198 pump out

Can someone explain to me how the pump outs are wired up. My champ is an 06 I had everything out cleaning the bilge area. Now my pumpout won't work. Obviously something is not plugged in right. There's several 2wire connectors connecting the bilge pumps but there's plug that goes to nothing I don't know if it's old wiring or what. If I plug in to it there's no lights on my pumpout switch. If I plug into what I thought was the right one it'll only light up when I kick my bilge pump on but the pumpout is still not kicking on but the lights are on at the console. It's a confusing deal and obviously I shouldn't have messed with it. Thanks for any advice or diagrams.

2. Member
    Does the light on the switch illuminate when the switch is turned on? If so, locate the pumpout valve and check for 12 volts at the valve. Do you have quick disconnect wiring on your pumps or are they crimped connectors? Its a rats nest down there, so its easy to have a wire come off, maybe a ground wire as well.

3. Puddlepirate198
    Yea they are quick connect I'll have to get a test light tomoro and dig around and yes it's a mess

4. Member

5. Member
    This is the bilge of my "06 198. #2 is the pump out on my setup. Make sure the pump is seated correctly. If it is not seated correct it will not pump water. With the pump out switch on, can you hear the pump running? Put your hand on the pump, or pull the pump and see if the impeller is turning with the switch on. If so, your pump is no seated correctly.

Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

6. Banned
    My pumpout goes to plug J.

7. Puddlepirate198
    Thinks for the pic ed. I had the plug to my float switch for my auto bilge plugged in to the power to my pumpout. When it originally messed up I had pulled the cartridge and iguess I didn't get it seated so it wasn't working. Yesterday I figured out the plugs were backwards and the cartridge wasn't locked in place. Now all my pumps are working correctly. Now my question is the pump is really load and only pumps a stream out prolly 4inches past the top cap. Is my pump getting weak? Thanks for any more info

8. Member
    Mine does the same thing. I even installed a higher rated pump. Has done it from day one.

9. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Not sure how high my pump-out flow would go because I bought a 3' piece of clear plastic hose with the same outer diameter as the inner diameter of the hole where pump-out water comes out. I stick the hose in the hole when I turn the PU switch on...and then can direct the flow into weigh-in bag or anywhere else I want to aim it....

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ 2001 View Post
    Mine does the same thing. I even installed a higher rated pump. Has done it from day one.

Same for me, I installed a 800gph and I think I actually went backwards because now it seems to cavitate at times before pumping out. Stick with the 500.

11. Member
    Mine does the same, weak stream..........pumpout of course.

Lea, great idea on the 3' length of hose! A real PIA to fill the weigh-in bag. Put that on my list of things to do.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax