Thread: Dandridge area?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dandridge area?

Looking for some info on the NE part of TN say in the Dandridge to Kingsport area. Looks like some decent lakes in the area. Is there much industry there for decent work, good tax base good schools?
    Appreciate the info

Not sure what industry you're looking for but there are jobs here. Housing is good. There are some pretty good lakes for fishing. I moved here from Ma. little over 4 years ago and its a great state to live in.

3. Banned
    I call NE Tennessee the Secret State of Tennessee. The region has beautiful mountains (obviously), but they also have a number of Tennessee River tributary lakes. I really like the Dandridge area as you have two interstate highways right there, and there are a number of towns very close together--Newport, Sevierville, Kodak, Jefferson City, Morristown, Greeneville.

My favorite towns are Morristown, Greenville and Jonesborough/Johnson City (with their university.)

But what I like most about Upper East Tennessee is the people. They are just different--very high character, fast to laugh and tell jokes. And don't let anyone tell you that hillbillies don't exist, because there are certainly some in this area and Western North Carolina.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NE14BASS View Post
    Not sure what industry you're looking for but there are jobs here. Housing is good. There are some pretty good lakes for fishing. I moved here from Ma. little over 4 years ago and its a great state to live in.

Wife works in the medical field, Id set up shop working on boats like I do up here. If daughter and son in law would relocate she is a music teacher public schools he does something with nuke power plant upgrades.

5. Member
    I live in Greeneville and have lived either here or in Newport for most of my life (just turned 60 BTW). Let me see if I can help.
    Lakes: from Greeneville for me it's Douglas and Cherokee, both within 45 minutes. But the following are with in an hours drive; Boone, Wataga, South Holston, Tellico, Watts Bar, etc the list goes on.
    Industry: Just about anything you could look for. Everybody's heard of Oak Ridge, TVA and such. Huge mfg base all over the eastern part of the state.
    Tax base...who knows I know we do NOT have a state income tax and I'm good with that.

Schools: I believe schools are what you make of them. Yes you may find a bad teacher on occasion but I believe you get as much out of school as you are willing put into it. And there is always a need for Medical folks, and Marine mechanics.
    Good luck with your decision.
    I am a Crankbait junkie...I'm in a program...It ain't helping!

6. Member
    Thanks for the input Ranger 354. The next deciding factor is weather patterns, Id like to get away from cold n snow I know you guys still get that but how fast does it disappear? My other short list is the Santee Cooper area in SC

7. Member
    Highs in the 20's earlier this week...upper 60's by Wednesday, don't like the weather wait a minute...it will change...lol. No kidding. Normally real cold doesn't last long snow maybe a week if were unlucky. All in all a beautiful area to live.
    I am a Crankbait junkie...I'm in a program...It ain't helping!

8. Member
    It is a little peace of heaven here on earth
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

Great area to live in. I have some family members that have retired to Dandridge, they live on Douglas lake. Close enough to Knoxville, Sevierville and Gatlinburg but still a small town. 5 min they can be on I-40. Hope to make it to the Dandridge/Jeff City area myself in a few years.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty34 View Post
    Looking for some info on the NE part of TN say in the Dandridge to Kingsport area. Looks like some decent lakes in the area. Is there much industry there for decent work, good tax base good schools?
    Appreciate the info
    Dandridge is where I went to look at houses to move to. Fantastic area. Douglas and Cherokee Lakes, both about 5 times size of Raystown. LOW taxes, loved it!!!

11. Member
    Moved to TN from Chicago and got a nice spot on Cherokee - outside of Morristown. Lots of fishing everywhere. Low taxes and cost of living. Be careful interpreting “state” rankings as Memphis skews the whole state for chronic crime and other negative stats.

There’s plenty of work here, but you may find the compensation is lower than the northeast.

The culture here is fiercely independent and wants little government support or involvement - which helps with the taxes.
    Sam

2022 Falcon F20 TE Hybrid - 250 Mercury Pro XS
    Not a pro - barely an average Joe!

12. Banned
    Funny story. I used to live in Williamson County, Tennessee and my next door neighbor was the chief criminal investigator for the Internal Revenue Service for Tennessee.

He spent months and months in Greeneville working a case against a serious tax fraud--a traveling salesman. They had him every way possible to get a conviction and send the guy to jail.

When it came to trial, the Federal Jury turned the guy loose. Come to find out, citizens in East Tennessee still don't care for revenuers, and it's just about impossible to get a guilty verdict in Federal Court for the region (in Greeneville.)

Northeast Tennessee a great place for a tax evader to live.

13. Banned
    Look at the history of East Tennessee, very independent, research the battle of Kings Mountain, and others. President Lincoln sent troops to East Tennessee during the civil war to help the people because they were loyal to the union, a huge Republican base, very anti slavery compared to the rest of the Democrat south. The people still have those beliefs. If you decide to come here because it’s a great state, keep in mind what’s made it great.

14. Member
    I just hope Tennessee doesn't become like the Carolinas a victim of the all the folks that move in and want to change everything into the very cesspool that they moved away from to come here. Have some friends in Carolina that are ready to move and they have lived there their whole life as lots of things have changed and not for the good!
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nightbasser View Post
    I just hope Tennessee doesn't become like the Carolinas a victim of the all the folks that move in and want to change everything into the very cesspool that they moved away from to come here. Have some friends in Carolina that are ready to move and they have lived there their whole life as lots of things have changed and not for the good!
    Middle Tennessee and Nashville in particular is the really hot spot in the state. Native Nashvillians (like myself) loved the city like it was. Now, all the old beautiful homes and buildings are being razzed and high rise condos are going in. I'm seeing homes selling for $350K when they should cost more like $100K. It's all supply and demand. And to them, diversity is 11,000 Kurds, Vietnamese used tire stores and Mexican tote the note used car lots all over town.

If I was moving to Tennessee, it'd be east of Knoxville where life is simple and mountains are high.

16. Banned
    We bought a lake house on Norris... To put it mildly, the people of East Tennessee move at a different pace... I call it the Slo-kees... Don't get me wrong, I love it but sometimes it can get frustrating... Some other things to think about, if you need something from the hardware store on Saturday after 12p, for me it's an hour trip to Lowes in LaFallotte, or and hour to Lowes in Knoxville. So when you plan a project make sure you start early enough just in case... Other than that Tennessee has some screwy liquor laws, I'm sure it's just the counties, but... Overall we've had the place for 6 years and love it... Dan

17. Member
    Bush beans is in Dandridge or very close. The plant looked large.

18. Member
    Dan, What general area on Norris Lake would be to camping or a cabin with a boat. My wife and I keep thinking that might me a good location for a seasonal camper but the lake is so large I don't really know where to start.

19. Banned
    I'm sure others will chime in... We're located by the Rt. 33 bridge, Clinch River side. It seems like that side of the lake is less crazy boat traffic wise. Not too familiar with seasonal camping, Beach Island (Bubba Brews) has a large campground. Cedar Grove Marina has seasonal camping and another, Lakeside just down the highway... Dan

http://www.beachislandmarina.com/

http://www.norrislakemarinas.org/nor...-grove-marina/

https://www.google.com/search?q=lake...91944629999999

20. Member
    Dan, Thanks for the information and the links. I am recently retired and have been looking around at some places that are not to far away to spend some time at. How much time I am not sure yet and I like the idea of less boat traffic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast