Ranger Trailer suspension adjustment for larger rims.

Has anyone gone from 14" rims to 17" rims and made the 12 degree rotation on the trailer [Swing Arms Down 12 degrees (2 Notches)]. to accommodate for the larger wheels?...........Gaining fender/wheel clearance.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Just be aware that a small increase in trailer height can translate into a big difference in how far you have to back in the water to load and unload the boat. 1" of trailer height means almost 6" further into the water.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Excellent point, especially since I'm working with the Z522D model. I may want to just stay with the 14's and leave it alone. However I've seen a few pics of 522D's with the 17" black chrome Ranger rims on them, and that's what I was thinking about going to.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangeric79 View Post
    Excellent point, especially since I'm working with the Z522D model. I may want to just stay with the 14's and leave it alone. However I've seen a few pics of 522D's with the 17" black chrome Ranger rims on them, and that's what I was thinking about going to.
    I'd assume they are going with a low profile tire to keep the tire diameter about the same as the 14".
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    I'd assume they are going with a low profile tire to keep the tire diameter about the same as the 14".
    I'm guessing yes, But the guy at Ranger parts told me that trailer adjustment may be required. The new Ranger tire combo I'm looking at is: ST215/65 R17 ........not sure what the exact tire size is on my trailer now since I'm not home.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Just be aware that a small increase in trailer height can translate into a big difference in how far you have to back in the water to load and unload the boat. 1" of trailer height means almost 6" further into the water.
    Yup. Also makes a difference in top cowl height as it relates to the garage door header. ask me how I know.

7. Member
    OK, how do you know?

8. mikesxpress
    Many of the folks that have tried the 17's via modding the torsion axle position found issues loading and went back. Check the Ranger board.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Many of the folks that have tried the 17's via modding the torsion axle position found issues loading and went back. Check the Ranger board.
    Decided to save myself $2000, and the hassle of messing with the suspension on the trailer. Will stick with the original 15's Thanks to all who replied.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangeric79 View Post
    Decided to save myself $2000, and the hassle of messing with the suspension on the trailer. Will stick with the original 15's Thanks to all who replied.

Smart move, IMHO