Aquatic Vegetation in PA lakes

Around the central PA area some of the lakes are undergoing major changes the last 3-5yrs with the aquatic vegetation. A lot of the great milfoil is being overtaken by other aquatic grasses(hydrilla and coontail). Was just wondering if this is also happening outside central PA lakes? Being so busy at work and doing a lot of river fishing, I haven't traveled outside my area in long time to bass fish lakes. Was just wondering what was going on with the aquatic grasses outside of central PA.

2. Member
    I fish quite a bit in north central PA and those lakes have lost a lot of the vegetation due to repeated flooding. The water in many of those lakes has been crystal clear too, which is uncharacteristic.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagregss View Post
    I fish quite a bit in north central PA and those lakes have lost a lot of the vegetation due to repeated flooding. The water in many of those lakes has been crystal clear too, which is uncharacteristic.
    Exactly the same thing happening in central PA. Glendale lake was full of excellent milfoil until it started disappearing about 5yrs ago. Now it's gin clear and most of the milfoil is gone. Same with Raystown this year the milfoil just started disappearing. Called the core of engineers about it and they had nothing to do with the eradication of the milfoil.

4. Member
    Check the Florida site and you might see why your grass is disappearing.

5. Member
    The decline up this way started a few years ago when we had the really really late thaw. It was nearly May when some of the lakes opened up in northern PA and it didn't seem like the grass ever recovered. A couple of years ago, it seemed like it was making a comeback, then flood after flood ripped it right out. It was incredible just this past summer fishing a lake where we had won a tournament fishing a weed bed in June, going back to the same spot in August after the lake had been shutdown for weeks due to flooding, and finding that same weed bed completely gone.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

6. Member
    Raystown grass loss is a result of water conditions all year in 2018 best I can tell. I am on the lake several days a week, watched it disappear in most areas. This cold weather and ice sure won’t help for this year......

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john5915 View Post
    Raystown grass loss is a result of water conditions all year in 2018 best I can tell. I am on the lake several days a week, watched it disappear in most areas. This cold weather and ice sure won’t help for this year......
    In your opinion do you think the milfoil will come back in Raystown?

8. Member
    It will come back

9. Member
    Raystown fished great last year.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

10. Member
    Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't millfoil an invasive grass they check your boat for at launches? Every sign i read they are trying to eradicate it? Maybe they figured out a way finally? At least you have vegetation though, in SE PA seems the pattern has been herbicides to accomodate the kayakers and pleasure boaters

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxp138 View Post
    Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't millfoil an invasive grass they check your boat for at launches? Every sign i read they are trying to eradicate it? Maybe they figured out a way finally? At least you have vegetation though, in SE PA seems the pattern has been herbicides to accomodate the kayakers and pleasure boaters
    They consider hydrilla and millfoil both invasive species around my area but all the rangers/Corp of engineers/fish commission people i have spoken to deny that they have sprayed or attempted eradication in anyway last year, on the lakes around me anyway. Maybe they were lying. That's kind of the reason I made this post to begin with, just to see what's going on outside my area with the aquatic grasses. If it's disappearing naturally or not.

12. Member
    A few lakes on this side of the state have lost their milfoil, and fish a lot different, with what seems like clearer water
    THE MORE YOU SAY THE MORE WE UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT YOU ANYWAYS

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SWbass View Post
    A few lakes on this side of the state have lost their milfoil, and fish a lot different, with what seems like clearer water
    Absolutely, same with lakes around central PA. The grass loss doesn't bother me as much as the clear water. You mind if I ask what lakes your refering to?

14. Member
    I visit a lake for a week every June in NE NY near the st. lawrence. Few years ago the millfoil was a "big problem" and they had people pulling it by hand?? This past year they had several "people" at the public launch thoroughly inspecting all boats before launching. I'll remember to take note this year of the health and report back. Always seems to me the more lively vegetation a lake holds the more lively everything else is....so I always welcome the sight of slop and head right for it.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxp138 View Post
    I visit a lake for a week every June in NE NY near the st. lawrence. Few years ago the millfoil was a "big problem" and they had people pulling it by hand?? This past year they had several "people" at the public launch thoroughly inspecting all boats before launching. I'll remember to take note this year of the health and report back. Always seems to me the more lively vegetation a lake holds the more lively everything else is....so I always welcome the sight of slop and head right for it.
    Its about a 50/50 split between guys that like the grass and guys that dont around my area. I just think its interesting how all these lakes change over time and the fisherman have to change with them to keep up.

16. Member
    +1 so true...but it seems like i have to change every time i go to the lake