Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1999 Mercury 150 hp EFI fuel leak question

serial # OG843325 I have had this motor since 2006 and in the last 3 months I have boat out 3 times on 2 of the trips when i got home and trimmed motor up a half a pint or so of gasoline has poured into spillway overflow.I took it to my mechanic the first time and he said he let it run for awhile and it didnt do it again .He said he inspected it for leaks and didnt see any . It didnt do it the next trip out but did on the following . Has anyone had this happen ? I have thought about adding an additive to maybe clean the injectors or something . I have only used 87 gasoline but i use stabil ethanol treatment every tank since they started using ethanol in gasoline .Motor runs strong and no missing . Only this fuel leak problem all of a sudden .Any advice would be appreciated . updated with
    serial # OG843325
    Last edited by flashmob; 01-30-2019 at 12:23 PM. Reason: no serial number

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a few moments to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info each time you post. Thanks!

Careful inspection and testing of fuel pressure (at idle, under accel, 15/30/60 seconds after shutdown) would be prudent.

May also have a problem with the VST float/needle (or debris floating around that gets in there).

Note: ANY fuel leak carries with it a risk of FIRE OR EXPLOSION. Do not run the engine until this leak has been corrected!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Updated .Thank you.

4. Member
    If the fuel lines have never been updated they may be a source of the debris Don mentions. See this FAQ topic for more info (disregard if already updated)...

FUEL LINES AND PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

I replaced the hose from the bulb to the engine once but it’s been 8 years ago I guess maybe longer .I replaced the fuel filter about 4 years ago .probably wouldn’t hurt to do it again and go all the way to the tank .I plan on keeping it as long as I can .Been a great motor .Only issue was a high side stator went bad once .

6. Member
    If you do, be sure to do everything in the linked topic all at the same time and do not skip anything.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

I think I found my problem today . The hotfoot cable is sticking . Barely got it disengage to take out of gear while loading on my trailer .

8. Member
    hot foot not causing fuel leakage , nope
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

i am still having this problem .I have had 2 mechanics look at it . They let it run and inspected all the blled lines and looked at all connections and said they couldnt find anything .It is leaking pretty bad .Smells like fuel bad .Runs perfect . Neither mechanic said anything about replacing fuel lines . Is there something anyone is missing ?

With engine off pump up the bulb till hard and keep a little pressure on it while inspecting for leaks, check it while trimed up as well as level
    Thank You Leon Pugh

I replaced all fuel lines and bulb and mechanical fuel pump . Seems to run better . My bulb is not staying very firm though . It was at first but after running my boat after changing everything it is semi soft . It seemed to run better though .

12. Member
    Does the bulb pump up firm before engine start? If yes, it WILL be soft after engine runs as it comes under vacuum while engine is running. Just one of the reasons for recommendation to pump bulb firm before every engine start.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

It doesn’t seem to get firm while just pumping while sitting in the garage .Im gonna do another test run and make sure it is gonna still run fine .

14. Member
    Bulb (is it a Mercury bulb) should get firm with engine off. If it doesn't need to determine why (defective bulb, leaking fuel line connection, pulse pump or VST issue, etc.)
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

It did get firm when I did the work . Then I ran the boat about 5 miles and when I put it on the trailer I noticed it wasn’t firm . Tried to pimp it and it wouldn’t get firm like it had been after I completed the work .

16. Member
    may have to turn bulb vertical and pump
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

I turned it vertical and it got firm !!!Thanks

18. Member
    check valves

I ran the boat again . The bulb is not staying firm and the overheat warning alarm came on . I’m not sure what to do next . Any advice would be appreciated.

20. Member
    The bulb will not stay firm once motor is running, it will be under a vacuum. Overheat alarm would indicate you probably should replace the water pump. As far as fuel leaking you need to check fuel pressure while running and after it’s cut off. Could be the VST tank leaking or could be a bad injector, etc.. if you are going to tackle this problem yourself you need to buy the Mercury service manual.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast