Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I ran the boat again . The bulb is not staying firm and the overheat warning alarm came on . I’m not sure what to do next . Any advice would be appreciated.

I had the water pump replaced about 8 months ago . I’m seriously thinking about taking it to another mechanic . I can pump it up in my garage and it will bleed down . I guess it’s supposed to do that though.

3. Member
    if it sets awhile it will loose press in bulb that's normal, (overheat) start at source always w/p and all 3 gaskets inspect housing and base
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

A mechanic I know recommends putting an electric fuel pump in the boat and unhooking the remote oiling system . What is anyone’s thoughts on this .

5. Member
    no sir to either
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Absolutely not, find another mechanic. Very bad advice
    Thank You Leon Pugh

7. Member
    +100

I will not let it happen . Thanks for the advice . He is saying the impeller will shear off and starve the engine of oil. I’m gonna have another mechanic I know work on it . I don’t want a cobbled up mess . Motor is super clean and has been babied . It would stink to mix oil again .

9. Member
    impeller !!!!!OMG not how it works,, fix it right that mtr will run fine just as it was designed no electric pump and with oil injection

I took the boat out again and ran it . It seemed to do better after hitting several fishing spot I only had trouble starting once or twice . Meaning I had to turn key twice . Starting on second turn of the key. I actually had a little to long of a length of fuel line between bulb and motor so I shortened it when I got home . I noticed one of the plastic hose barb fittings in the bulb moved in and out while shoving the hose on it . I was wondering if that no big deal or I should get another one . It’s brand new and I still have my old one and it doesn’t do budge when I try to move it . The new one will actually swivel .

Quote Originally Posted by flashmob View Post
    I took the boat out again and ran it . It seemed to do better after hitting several fishing spot I only had trouble starting once or twice . Meaning I had to turn key twice . Starting on second turn of the key. I actually had a little to long of a length of fuel line between bulb and motor so I shortened it when I got home . I noticed one of the plastic hose barb fittings in the bulb moved in and out while shoving the hose on it . I was wondering if that no big deal or I should get another one . It’s brand new and I still have my old one and it doesn’t do budge when I try to move it . The new one will actually swivel .
    1. Read Post #3 again and do it.
    2. Be sure the lines and fittings are of the correct. Should be a very snug fit. Very liklely requiring the hose to be warmed up in hot water if the hose are the correct ones being used
    3. Mercury bulb I hope
    Last edited by lpugh; 10-04-2019 at 03:38 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    may have to turn bulb vertical and pump
    I go a step further and mount them with in 45 deg of vertical as high as possible but lower than the pulse pump, this insures the vapor bubble will always be purged out
    I do admit I am anal about this as I have fought to many vapor lock issues in the past thus this has just become a standard work practice for me.
    Most on these forums have never worked with carbureted vehicle with mechanical pumps pulling fuel through filters and screens
    Thank You Leon Pugh

I did all of #3 . However I was recommended at the Ranger dealership to put a evinrude primer bulb on my engine . I just purchased it and installed it . Will it be worth it to go ahead and buy the Mercury oem one ?I would be wasting the money I spent in the evinrude one . They have always pushed the evinrude ones . This is the second one I’ve had in the boat in 16 years . I don’t mind a bit to buy a mercury one if it will eliminate that factor though .

I went ahead and ordered a Mercury OEM bulb .

15. Member
    Smart move.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Well I ran the boat again . Occasionally having to turn the key twice to turn it over to get it started . The Mercury bulb did stay firmer than the evinrude one . I haven’t had any fuel leaks since I replaced the pulse pump and the line either which is a good thing .i was concerned about my water PSI gauge jumping but noticed if I trim down in a hard turn it would not jump. I hope I don’t get anymore overheat warnings . I had the boat up to 58 mph with this 150 hp so it still runs strong . My Ranger is heavy too . It’s a 19 ft dual console .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12