Weird trailer tongue

Picked up a tandem axle Triton trailer for cheap. Just been sitting outside for years unused and the rear cross-members actually have no rust inside when I used my bore scope.
    Now, what's up with this trailer tongue? It's only held on by the single pin and flops all over the place. I am stripping, painting, new brakes, new A-60 etc.
    Anyone seen a tongue like this? (top left of pic) Never seen one held on by a single pin. Seems unsafe and wondering if I should get it welded to the trailer since I will be removing and stripping anyways.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

2. Member
    Thats how mine is if its the drop down tongue. I have an 03 trailer with 03 tr21. Alwas held fine for me. But does have some slop to it.

3. BBC Lifetime Member Fish TR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jdwo2212 View Post
    Thats how mine is if its the drop down tongue. I have an 03 trailer with 03 tr21. Alwas held fine for me. But does have some slop to it.
    Same thing I have.

4. Member
    Same one I have on my 2007.

5. Member
    Ok may weld or put a big bolt through it. Just don’t like it lol. Haven’t noticed one like it and my current 02 trailer came welded to the frame
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

6. Member
    Bad design, i would weld plate on the outside of the pin to minimize slop and fully box the bottom of the 2" channel

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbasser54 View Post
    Bad design, i would weld plate on the outside of the pin to minimize slop and fully box the bottom of the 2" channel
    exactly what I am going to do now looking at it from underneath. I work with someone who does mobile welding so he's going to come do it once it's all stripped.
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

8. Member
    The newer models break side ways not down but still have the pin. You won't be able to fold the tongue if you weld a plate on the bottom.

9. Member
    Kind of bad design. I have same one and mine cracked luckily I caught it and welded it inside and out. I just built up a little weld to help take some slop out, but did not weld on bottom so trailer can still drop down. I have pics of before and after but can't post can only text them.
    2002 Triton Tr-21 Merc 250 Pro XB OT430582