Thread: 1997 150 EFI

1997 150 EFI

I just recently purchased a boat with a 1997 150 EFI on it. I took it out this past weekend and noticed it wasn't peeing. Ran all day fine no alarms so I just assumed the pee hole was clogged up. Got it home and got some trash out of it hooked it up to muffs and still won't pee. I done some reading and read where people say this motor doesn't pee until the thermostat reaches 180 degrees. Is this true or a myth? With the muffs on it you can the air forcing out of the pee hole but no water. I have water coming out of the exhaust prop area which make me think it's getting water pressure but not sure. The water pressure gauge on the dash is broken I need to replace it to get an accurate reading. Can anyone tell me if this motor should definately be peeing something when running period or that it truly doesn't pee til warm.

2. Member
    I believe that motor should have 143 degree t-stats and yes it it want pee at idle until the motor warms up and the t-stats open. I would definitely replace that water pressure gauge so your not guessing.

3. Member
    Ok that's kind of what of what I've been thinking yes I'll def replace the gauge but just wanted to make sure before I messed up and over heated the thing!

4. Member
    I'm so used to motors that pee from the time the engine fires I feel like it should too.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wayne View Post
    I believe that motor should have 143 degree t-stats and yes it it want pee at idle until the motor warms up and the t-stats open. I would definitely replace that water pressure gauge so your not guessing.
    + 1
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    I’m no expert. If it’s a new boat to you, I would take it in and it get it checked out. My water gauge read 12 when running wide open. Got it checked and new impella, now reads between 18-20 when running. Pees awhole lot better also.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a few moments to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info each time you post. Thanks!

The 2.5 EFI (standard production) engines derive the telltale from the thermostats. Hence there is little or no telltale until, or unless the thermostats are open. Telltale may come and go, and when it is present, DON'T stick your hands in it (it is likely scalding hot).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Sorry about that Don I jumped the gun!! The motor serial # is 06529377

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That would be 0G529377 (just for reference... second character is a letter).

In cold temps it may take 5 minutes (at idle) to get the engine up to temp (if extremely cold, perhaps longer)... so keep this in mind when checking telltale function. Water pressure is a good indicator to use in the interim.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Doesn’t hurt to replace thermostats every so often, either.