Looking for help/advice on Champlain

Let me start off by saying I am not a tournament guy looking for help. I am, checking off a bucket list item of catching some nice smallmouth before age takes over!! My window is mid September to mid October this year. I would be traveling from MD. I am picking Champlain after all the video I have watched of a few years of BASS and FLW Pros catching some nice smallies. I was thinking about maybe Oneida or even Saint Lawrence, but think Champlain would be better. This is where I'm looking for anyone's advice on the better place. Personally I've never been more north than Pittsburgh.... LOL Plattsburgh would be about a 9 hour trip for me and I'm only suggesting that because it's all I've heard of... I plan to make this a 1 week trip and have some concerns about that time of year and how the weather may mess things up. My personal thought was if Champlain got too rough to fish the main lake I could trailer down to the Ticonderoga area and catch largemouth. Is that feasible? Or are there any smaller lakes near by that have a good population of big smallmouth to go to in times of bad weather. Thanks in advance to all who reply. If like, PM me and I'd love to get your phone number and chat about some options. Brian Barth

2. Member
    Plattsburgh to Ticonderoga really isn't a bad drive at all. Hour and a half or so. Time of year should be on fire for smallies in Plattsburgh
    Nitro Z18
    175hp ProXS

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    If I were you I'd stay in the mid September part of your timeline. Mid October that far north is a crapshoot at best for weather. Oneida was pretty off this year, regulars would agree. Coming that far I'd rule out oneida. Maybe a day stop on the way back or up but not whole trip. St. Lawrence, or Champlain in September you cant go wrong.

4. Member
    Thanks guys for the info, I really appreciate it. I agree, October is pushing it... K and K, what is Kustom Hydrographics? Maybe something I could use on my 2015 FX20 Skeeter?

5. CMO Reel Life Baits scottyisback44's Avatar
    Man that's a shitty problem we have here in NY. To go to Champlain or St. Lawrence in September. Ive don't tournaments on both bodies of water. Its tough to pass up the river. Especially if you go out near Clayton and have a calm enough day to hit the mouth of Lake Ontario. Honestly man Id make that a week or longer trip and do a tour. Champlain, St. Lawrence, Oneida, Cayuga (which is literally spitting distance from me). Itd be well worth your time

6. Tony C
    Hi,

i can give you tons of help on northern Champlain. I spend mid May through October at marine village cottages, which is in beekmantown New York. It’s above Plattsburgh, about 15 minute drive. The cottages are right on the lake, launch is 1/4 mile away. September the cottages are not full so there should be several open. I can send my phone number if you want to discuss. Send me a pm.
    Ranger Z21/Yamaha HPDI 250

7. Member
    Oneida can be hit or miss in the fall. Some days you’ll get 50+ fish, otherdays youll struggle to get a limit. Oneida is only 45min from me and I’d rather drive an extra hour to hit Chaumont or go another 20min and hit the 1000 islands in Clayton.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

8. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianFishinGator View Post
    Thanks guys for the info, I really appreciate it. I agree, October is pushing it... K and K, what is Kustom Hydrographics? Maybe something I could use on my 2015 FX20 Skeeter?
    take a look at our website, facebook and our instagram @kandkkustomz.. We sponsor both Flw pros as well as elites , as well as lower level anglers and specialize in bass boat work. just did some wicked skeeter windshields on our facebook. lots of application for any rig.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronzebackpro7 View Post
    Plattsburgh to Ticonderoga really isn't a bad drive at all. Hour and a half or so. Time of year should be on fire for smallies in Plattsburgh
    Agree, I go up in June every year, and stay in Ticonderoga, will trailer to Plattsburgh one or two days from TI. Options are good in TI, you can fish George too. If you stay on Hero in VT, there is places to hide if the wind is bad.

10. Member
    Just wanted say a big thanks to all, Especially Kevin @ K & K. Had a great couple of conversations, all around great guy and I believe we will be doing some work on my boat in the next off season. I'd also like to thank Tonyc as well, looks like I will be up there around the end of Sept and I'm about to book a cottage on Lake Champlain at marine village cottages. Prescilla offered to knock off a couple bucks for a weeks stay... We plan to set up base there and possibly travel to some other destinations which are a couple hours from there. It's going to be an amazing time!! If anyone else can think of some ideas they wouldn't mind sharing for us to think about, please feel free to chime in... Thanks again!!