Veterans without 100% disability denied fishing permit at West Point lakes

I've been able to fish West Point lakes for the last four years with an annual permit. I enlisted in 1970 was honorably discharged in '75.
    Last edited by SPOONMINNOW; 09-13-2020 at 07:43 AM.

2. Member
    I don't see the problem. I just looked at their website and it appears eligibility requirements are inline with requirements for access to any military installation. Sorry you are upset but you don't meet those requirements.

3. Member
    My dad was the First Sergeant of the U.S.Hospital Malcom Grow at Joint Base Andrews. He passed away there. A few years later my mom was hospitalized there. I had worked on Andrews AFB for 17 years before I retired. I wanted to visit her. I had to wait in the guard building for 2 hours while they checked me out. While I was there a truck load of (apparently) South American immigrants got off from outside the base, unloaded lawnmowers, weed eaters and leaf blowers and commenced to do lawn care around the guard shack, got back in the truck and commenced to go further on base.
    Go figure.

^^I'm not really sure what your point is. Were you a retiree? Or simply a VET and/or a dependent when your father served? Contrary to popular belief, civilians don't have a right to access a military instillation just because they used to serve. I retired after 27 years of AD. I have both a retiree ID card, and a CAC card as a GS civilian...and there's plenty of places on post that I cannot access because I don't have the right badge, security classification (which is a TS by the way) need to know, etc. Go figure.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

5. Member
    I was a retired civilian Government I.D. card DOD employee with a relative in the hospital and had to wait a long time just to get a temporary pass to drive to the hospital. A truckload of no I.D. people just walked in. I know that base backward and forward.

I grew up there and worked there. Just makes no sense. Plenty of good I.D.

I only needed to go one place. I could, however go to the munitions revetments if I so chose.

It definitely does not make sense at times.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

7. Member
    Some of the morons the DOD hires as Security People or Police are not trained properly. In a few instances, these people are given a badge and it just goes to their heads. I doubt very seriously some of these folks have the mental health properties to be in the positions they are in. With all of that being said, the vast majority of the Security and Police personnel are great people.

8. Member
    Appreciate the time you were able to fish there.

Go back every year and see if the rules have changed.
    Things tend to shift as leadership changes.