Thread: Arizona Lakes

Arizona Lakes

Any of you fish the AZ lakes, I live at Elephant Butte NM and considering a road trip with a couple of friends. Was Wondering which lakes were considered good. I figure end of Mar or into April should be a good time. Any information would be appreciated.

2. Member
    I really enjoy fishing out in Yuma on the Colorado River because you can fish the main current or hit a lot of backwater lakes. I'm actually going to be out there March 29th through April 8th.

3. Member
    I fish the colorado river area lakes hard to go wrong on any of them. Obviously Roosevelt would be your closest.

4. Member
    Lake Pleasant just NW of Phoenix is "OK" for largemouth, but you can target striper schools and get lucky with numbers... with a chance at a 5-10+ pounder. You can usually do well at Bartlett Lake NE of Phoenix, but they are usually on the small side. Your best bets for largemouth are Alamo Lake and Roosevelt Lake. You can also do well for crappie there too.

5. Member
    So I was fishing our flooded shorelines this weekend at Roosevelt Lake and I saw this blackhawk crew conducting their bass fishing training for the year. It was cool to see, except I believe they got my 8 pounder in that basket of theirs on the way......

1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

Quote Originally Posted by apenland01 View Post
    So I was fishing our flooded shorelines this weekend at Roosevelt Lake and I saw this blackhawk crew conducting their bass fishing training for the year. It was cool to see, except I believe they got my 8 pounder in that basket of theirs on the way......
    Totally cool! Crazy that they picked your cove to fill their basket. Nice vid!

I love it when the Luke AFB F-35's strafe me at Lake Pleasant. I about fall out of the boat.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

Last week I did Roosevelt on Monday, Pleasant on Tuesday and Bartlett on Wednesday. Roosevelt was a little slow for me. Got a few on cranks on flat points east of Salome, a 4# on a 1/2 oz jig and a Yamamoto cowboy trailer in about 8 feet on a boulder bank mid lake and a couple spinnerbait bass. At Pleasant my fish came on flukes. Didn't get many though. Saw some fish on beds but passed them by. Surprised by the numbers of gizzard shad cruising the shallows. Didn't see any threadfin - weird.

But my best day was at Bartlett. After a late start, white spinnerbaits shallow brought over a dozen bass including a 4 1/2. Yesterday, went back but the bite was slower. Still on spinnerbaits and still good size for that lake just not as many as last week. All showed signs of having just finished their spawn. Steeper banks with flooded brush in 5-10 feet of water. The forecast of high winds scared me off Pleasant today. I want to get back in the Aqua Fria now that they opened it up unexpectedly. I'm kicking myself for not getting up early and got out there for the morning, at least.

Bartlett Bass...

1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

8. Banned
    Anyone have any recommendations? thinking roosevelt...but im wondering if it gets tough in the summer?